Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to delete previous OS systems on Mac before updating?

My system software is taking up the majority of the space on my Mac. I’m using High Sierra and want to update to Big Sur. Should I delete all of the old system updates to save space? I don’t have enough space for the nee system which I need to work with newly downloaded software.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 11:08 AM

You will need a MacBook Air 2013 or later to upgrade to Big Sur, and then, before you can commence that upgrade, you will need to free up 35.5 GB of storage, as that is a requirement for a Big Sur installation. The Big Sur download at 12.2 GB, is roughly 157% larger than High Sierra so you will have some work to do in freeing up user files.

You should also verify that your printer/scanner vendor provides driver support for Big Sur that was released after Nov 2020. I recommend that you check for any 32-bit applications that you presently use as Big Sur only supports 64-bit applications, and it may cost you, depending on the vendor, to get their 64-bit version.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2021 11:08 AM in response to alecia226

You will need a MacBook Air 2013 or later to upgrade to Big Sur, and then, before you can commence that upgrade, you will need to free up 35.5 GB of storage, as that is a requirement for a Big Sur installation. The Big Sur download at 12.2 GB, is roughly 157% larger than High Sierra so you will have some work to do in freeing up user files.

You should also verify that your printer/scanner vendor provides driver support for Big Sur that was released after Nov 2020. I recommend that you check for any 32-bit applications that you presently use as Big Sur only supports 64-bit applications, and it may cost you, depending on the vendor, to get their 64-bit version.

Do I have to delete previous OS systems on Mac before updating?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.