Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone email opens last email

I’m so frustrated that this issue keeps happening. If I open an email on my iphone and then return to the inbox and then close the app (fully using the home double click and swiping)... then every time I open email, it’s stuck on that last viewed email.

I don’t know how that’s helpful to anyone, but it should open wherever we leave it.

And I’ve tried the typical generic fixes (IT’S NOT ON MY END!.. why can’t developers realize they’re the ones that screw up?)... swipe close the app, power off my phone, and phone is updated. I will NOT uninstall my email app to fix your stupid issue. I have 7 email accounts that I have to use and (while many are easy enough to set back up) some are a complete pain to set up. Not to mention that the next iphone update will just make it all happen again (if it did fix the issue).

Stop screwing things up just to make a change!

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2021 7:32 AM

Very frustrating, but I think I figured it out with mine. I think the issue is when the phone goes to silent with the email open, either from hitting the side (silent) button or after the phone being inactive for a few seconds. Then, when you power up and navigate back to the inbox, even if you close the app, the email will be opened after you re-open mail. To fix, I navigated back to my inbox and without closing the app, I pressed the side (silent) button and then went back in. Now mail opens the inbox whenever I open mail and not that email. It looks like it always defaults to the last screen that was open if the app was open when the phone last went silent.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2021 7:32 AM in response to Me_and_myself

Very frustrating, but I think I figured it out with mine. I think the issue is when the phone goes to silent with the email open, either from hitting the side (silent) button or after the phone being inactive for a few seconds. Then, when you power up and navigate back to the inbox, even if you close the app, the email will be opened after you re-open mail. To fix, I navigated back to my inbox and without closing the app, I pressed the side (silent) button and then went back in. Now mail opens the inbox whenever I open mail and not that email. It looks like it always defaults to the last screen that was open if the app was open when the phone last went silent.

Apr 27, 2021 8:32 PM in response to karina184

Thanks. Sorry, it actually stays responsive. It opens at the most recently “interacted” email (typically clicking a link or like that... so of course now it constantly opens at the email saying that I received a response here because I used the link included in it).

I fully know that I just have to click “back”, but with being unfortunately OCD about many things... would be nice to have it open where I leave it, especially since it’s something that used to happen regularly some time ago.

May 20, 2021 4:46 PM in response to Me_and_myself

Thanks for any possible suggestions. Unfortunately it looks like I just shouldn’t be swiping the mail app closed.

For anyone else (I’ve at least seen some similar issues), it might appear that you can go to the section (inbox) you want the app to open to, simple exit the app, turn off your phone (not the complete shutdown), turn your phone back on and the mail app should be unstuck... at least for me.

Apr 27, 2021 10:57 AM in response to Me_and_myself

Hello Me_and_myself,

Ensuring Mail is working as expected on your iPhone is important, and Apple Support Communities is a great place for help. We do want to advise that Apple Support Communities is a peer-to-peer forum, but we're here to help.

You mentioned that the Mail app is opening to the last read email, and is stuck. Does the Mail app become unresponsive, or is the issue only with the previously read email opening when returning to the Mail app? If the Mail app becomes unresponsive the following article mail help with resolving the issue. There is a step that walks through uninstalling, and reinstalling the application. When doing this step this does not sign you out of the email accounts as those would remain within the Settings, and all in-app data should return to the Mail app.

If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won't open

If you continue to have issues after completing those steps, or you're having a different issue such as the last read email reopening upon returning to Mail the next step would be to reach out to Apple. Their contact details can be found via the Get Support website.

Take care!

Apr 28, 2021 9:27 AM in response to Me_and_myself

There's no need to apologize Me_and_myself,

We appreciate the clarification upon the issue as well. With the iPhone remaining unresponsive, the steps in the article above may still help with resolving the issue you're facing. If the issue continues, reaching out to Apple is the appropriate next step as it should return to the last page you were on whether that be an email, or a specific mailbox.

Have a great day!

Apr 28, 2021 12:53 PM in response to IB6857

Thanks all, but again I’m not going to delete and then reinstall the mail app because 1) I have some email accounts that are a pain to set up and 2) I know it’s going to eventually happen again after another update, because it has before. And thanks for the link, but being on the inbox screen before closing doesn’t work.

Thanks anyway. Personally (and I KNOW I’m in the minority here), I just wish forced changes weren’t.. well, forced on us without an option to keep everything as those of us who hate changes are used to. I guess I got old after all.

Iphone email opens last email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.