Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why do you need wifi to unlock your phone using your watch? if we are outside we are not connected to any wifi but our mobile data!

why do you need wifi to unlock your phone using your watch? if we are outside we are not connected to any wifi but our mobile data!

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 7:53 PM

I don't know that it does use wifi, it just says, "Your iPhone and Apple Watch need to have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on."

Unlock your iPhone with Apple Watch when you're wearing a face mask - Apple Support

I would guess it is just using Bluetooth.

5 replies

Apr 26, 2021 8:57 PM in response to Jason Chew

Jason Chew wrote:

I believe this is consistent with Apple's Continuity features.

Bluetooth is used for the 2 devices to "see" each other and set up the feature. The wifi radios in each device, not a wifi signal, is used to communicate directly between the devices. Device to device using wifi.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.