You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tvos 14.5 wireless audio sync issue

On TVos 14.5 there is no longer an option to set the tv to 4k 24hz to do the wireless audio sync calibration like you have to do if you have match frame rate turned on. This leads to audio not being in sync for movies and anything else that is shot in 24hz. Is there any way to fix this? the option was there and I had no problems with it on 14.4 but since updating to 14.5 (full release not a beta) the option is now gone and the audio sync settings I had are gone so it is now just an off sync mess. If anyone knows how to fix it id love to hear it.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 6:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 2:01 PM

This is correct, but that’s not the issue here. The issue is that it’s not possible to put the Apple TV into 24Hz picture modes to perform wireless audio sync for those. That means that when using Match Content settings, your audio may be out of sync. I’m assuming this is either a bug or an oversight, as Apple’s own support documentation that explains how to do Wireless Audio Sync with Match Content on (https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT210526) says to switch to other modes. Those modes just aren’t available in 14.5.

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 28, 2021 2:01 PM in response to Urquhart1244

This is correct, but that’s not the issue here. The issue is that it’s not possible to put the Apple TV into 24Hz picture modes to perform wireless audio sync for those. That means that when using Match Content settings, your audio may be out of sync. I’m assuming this is either a bug or an oversight, as Apple’s own support documentation that explains how to do Wireless Audio Sync with Match Content on (https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT210526) says to switch to other modes. Those modes just aren’t available in 14.5.

Apr 28, 2021 2:22 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Urquhart1244,

According to Apple, Wireless Audio Sync calibration should be performed for each supported refresh rate. When Match Frame Rate is enabled, the Apple TV will switch to 24 Hz or 23.97, neither of which can be selected in settings. Therefore Wireless Audio Sync calibration cannot be performed on the most common refresh rates for movies and series. Users are forced to disable Match Frame Rate and suffer through 3:2 pulldown, or deal with audio that is out of sync.

May 1, 2021 4:38 PM in response to tkndk

It's not only the sync issue. When Apple tv "Match the frame rate " is not the same as setting it naturally at 24hz . Before that movements were natural, just like in movie theatres. Now the "Matching" process create some artefacts and it not as before. It lost the "Movie effect" I am so disappointed, because I mostly watch movies. -_- . I really don't understand why they needed to remove the setting -_-

May 22, 2021 7:07 PM in response to Dalinet

Just upgraded and audio sync is busted with airplay with two HomePods in a stereo configuration set as the audio output defaults.

When performing the “Wireless Audio Sync” the control lights on the top of the HomePods go off as if disconnected from source, which is likely, and the calibration audio comes through the TV speakers. Following, the TV speakers remain the default audio option for a moment, but then, as if AirPlay has reawakened on my Apple TV, the connection to the stereo HomePods is re-established.

This all worked before on14.4 with not a single issue, so this is not some weird frame rate / refresh rate / audio calibration issue as noted in prior posts. This is a broken tvOS 14.5 production release that’s just introduced a regression that should have been found by QA before release. So very disappointing to see such an impacting bug unleashed on a platform that’s literal job is to seamlessly play sync’d audio and video.

tvos 14.5 wireless audio sync issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.