Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod (Original) Won't Update to 14.5

Good evening,

Following the release of the update to the HomePod OS to 14.5 today, I was only able to update 2 of my 3 HomePods (1 HomePod mini and 1 Original HomePod). The third HomePod (Original) would not update from os 14.4. In fact, the Home app simply kept reporting that it was up to date, though it obviously was not. Has anyone else encountered this and what was the solution? Thanks in advance.

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 7:54 PM

5 replies

Apr 30, 2021 7:44 AM in response to Randy-12

Thanks, Randy-12. My iPhone and all other devices had already been successfully updated to iOS 14.5. As you can see in my original post I had successfully updated other HomePods without issue from the same device. I had one recalcitrant HomePod that would not even see that there was an update available. Even though it was on 14.4 it kept reporting that it was up to date, even with Autoupdate enabled.

Apr 30, 2021 7:47 AM in response to George Mcgee

Finally fixed it. I unplugged power for all other HomePods (original and mini in house) so that they were offline and not available in the Home app and then the update finally appeared and applied to the last HomePod. No amount of re-starting etc for the last HomePod would allow the Home app to update it (it would only report that all HomePods were up-to-date, even though the last one was still on 14.4) until I took the other, already updated HomePods offline. Weird.

Apr 30, 2021 3:55 PM in response to George Mcgee

Ahh.

Nice to know and thanks for sharing solution.

i’m guessing here, but appears homepods/ home hubs share a list of devices, think single brain [Connected], which contained incorrect software version information.

By shutting down all home hubs and just starting up device that needed update meant that list was no longer being used and device directly reporting software version, when checking online if update required

HomePod (Original) Won't Update to 14.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.