Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14.5 CarPlay not working

i updated my iPhone 12 Pro to iOS 14.5 today and my CarPlay isn’t working anymore. Anyone else having this issue or know of a fix?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 9:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 10:33 PM

I got it working today, not quite sure what happened but I looked it up on the forums for my car and it said to cycle the radio system by clicking the volume button to mute the radio and then clicking it again and holding it for 10 seconds. Then letting go and if see the car logo and the whole system would reboot and then after that it worked fine. It’s a 2017 Porsche Macan. Not sure if that will be the same for yours. Hope you get it figured out!

53 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2021 10:33 PM in response to DanHenderson_01

I got it working today, not quite sure what happened but I looked it up on the forums for my car and it said to cycle the radio system by clicking the volume button to mute the radio and then clicking it again and holding it for 10 seconds. Then letting go and if see the car logo and the whole system would reboot and then after that it worked fine. It’s a 2017 Porsche Macan. Not sure if that will be the same for yours. Hope you get it figured out!

May 7, 2021 6:42 AM in response to Crumirid787

SOLVED!

OK, here's what worked for me after 2 days of trying everything. First, you have to go into settings/general/CarPlay/choose the car and forget it. Then come out to the car, plug in to the USB port and then turn off the entertainment system (my car was running at the time), and while still plugged in, do a hard reset on the phone. Don't just turn it off. Hold the two buttons on your model that cause the phone to forcibly shut down. This seems to be the only way to clear whatever it is that's messing Siri up. Then when you 1) turn the radio back on, and then 2) turn the iPhone back on, Siri should work fine. This was driving me crazy for 2 days. Apple should really anticipate this and put something out about it.

Apr 27, 2021 9:18 AM in response to Crumirid787

I'm having same issues - Ford Sync 3 radio, worked fine yesterday under iOS 14.4; upgraded 2 phones last night to 14.5, neither will connect to CarPlay now. Have deleted car from iOS CarPlay settings, also deleted on Sync 3 radio. When reconnecting the phone via USB, the radio recognizes the phone, but instead of the phone's name (e.g. Dan's iPhone) it just says "Apple CarPlay Device", and the phone itself never tries to activate CarPlay and go into that mode. Have power cycled phone and restarted car to force radio reset. The other iPhones in house still on iOS 14.4 still connect as expected to CarPlay in the vehicle, it's just devices upgraded to 14.5 that won't connect to CarPlay. Ford Sync 3 on most recent version also.

May 7, 2021 5:51 AM in response to Crumirid787

I'm having the same problem with my 2019 Dodge Durango. Main problem is the voice keeps cutting in and out since the 14.5 upgrade. And no, it's not the wires. Everything was fine until the update, now Siri starts to talk and then cuts out, so I don't hear the rest of the prompts. Not sure what to do. If I figure it out, I'll come back and let everyone know.

May 7, 2021 6:46 AM in response to Crumirid787

Turn your Vehicle on > On your vehicle's media screen select the "Projection" App > A consent menu will pop up, select "Continue" > Your problem is resolved.

I had this issue, researched it, and tried all the recommended solutions and nothing worked. The other day when I started my vehicle I thought the typical warning message popped up regarding "keeping eyes on the road " and selected what I thought was the "OK" button on the left and continued on. Well, that message wasn't the typical warning message, it was the "Device Projection Privacy Consent" form and I had unknowingly selected "Disable"... which is also the button on the left.

Hope this helps someone out there. If not, good luck.

(Chevy Bolt 2020)

May 7, 2021 8:15 AM in response to SkyWalker1982

SkyWalker1982 wrote:

It’s not up to the manufacturers to make sure iOS updates are compatible, that falls on apple to make sure their software is backwards compatible.

It is up to third party device or software developers to make sure THEIR product is compatible with iOS or any OS. Any other claim is incorrect. Why would they list their system requirements on the product? You actually expect Apple (or Microsoft) to make sure that their software will work with millions of products worldwide? Utter nonsense.

May 8, 2021 2:21 PM in response to Crumirid787

Way to go Apple. It wouldn’t be an update without breaking Apple CarPlay.. again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and..

May 9, 2021 9:27 AM in response to IdeaManFL

Having similar problem with 2020 Genesis G70 using either direct USB connection to my iPhone 11 or my CPLAY2air device. Receive notification that I have a text; click on notification; Siri starts to read text and within a few seconds it cuts off, screen displays a circle showing it is being read but no audio. This happen several times and then Siri asks if I want to reply although it never announced the text. Occasionally if I repeat procedure a few times, entire text will finally play. It's maddening!!!

May 10, 2021 8:20 AM in response to mrapmail

Traveling yesterday from a distant location where I had used WiFi, I had Car Play running (USB) when I pulled out of the driveway. Very quickly, probably as I progressed away from WiFi range, Car Play cut out and complained that there was no Internet. At my next stop I checked my iPhone: Cellular was OFF. I had not turned it off. Turning it back on cured the problem. (Aside:Yes,IknowthatCarPlayiswithoutaspacebetween"Car"and"Play,"butsuchbrandingbyAppleandothersthrowsawrenchinto

thereadingandspellingabilitiesofyoungchildren.)

May 14, 2021 5:21 AM in response to Wonderfullyfab

Here's what I discovered and tried. The issue is Siri, not CarPlay. Try using Siri away from your car, and you should see the same issues.

Again, here's what I did - I'm not promising it will work for you.

Change Siri Voice

Turn off Siri in phone settings

Hard reset iPhone

Turn Siri back on

It has been 18 hours and the "fix" is still working. Maybe we will see a true fix in the next IOS update.

iOS 14.5 CarPlay not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.