Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dont download old pictures to a new iphone

Hey.

I recently re-installed my iPhone's iOS and i'd like to keep it clean.

I want to keep my iPhone 6 and previous iPhone 11 iOS version photos on my iCloud.

but i don't want my photos app filled with these pictures.

Is there a way to disable iCloud syncing the old pictures to the fresh iOS install, but still have it uploading all the new pictures i take?

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 1:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 2:04 AM

I don't believe that option is available. The only thing you can do to reduce local storage usage, if that is your issue, is to go in your iPhone to Settings / Photos / Optimise iPhone storage and activate that option.

If you have a Mac(Book)/iMac you can add a second local library and move your pictures to that library. However, they will also be deleted from your iCloud Photos app and therefore will not sync to your iPhones. Don't forget to make a TimeMachine backup of your Mac(book/iMac as these particular photos are no longer in iCloud as a backup.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2021 2:04 AM in response to TheLynxDr

I don't believe that option is available. The only thing you can do to reduce local storage usage, if that is your issue, is to go in your iPhone to Settings / Photos / Optimise iPhone storage and activate that option.

If you have a Mac(Book)/iMac you can add a second local library and move your pictures to that library. However, they will also be deleted from your iCloud Photos app and therefore will not sync to your iPhones. Don't forget to make a TimeMachine backup of your Mac(book/iMac as these particular photos are no longer in iCloud as a backup.

Dont download old pictures to a new iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.