Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.3 Podcast App-- Can no longer drag and drop to Finder

Hi,

I updated to Big Sur 11.3 today, and now I can't drag and drop downloaded podcasts from the Podcast app to Finder.

Is it just me, or was this ability taken away in the update?

I have a long run tomorrow morning. Help, please!

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 2:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 1:36 AM

A possible work around:

You can access the downloaded podcasts from the Podcast app in a Finder folder, and then copy the files to another folder or device.

1. Open Finder
  2. Open the "Go" drop down menu and press "option".
  3. You'll see a new entry named "Library". Open it.
  4. Open Group Containers
  5. Open the folder which ends in .groups.com.apple.podcasts There will be a group of alpha numeric characters before this ending.
  6. Open "Library"
  7. Open "Cache"

This "Cache" folder is where the downloaded podcasts from the Podcast app are stored.

I've added this "Cache" folder to the side menu of Finder for easy access until this issue is fixed in a future Big Sur update.

The files won't have the proper name of the podcasts (it will just be an alpha numeric string of characters), but they will have the dates they were downloaded. Therefore, you many want to rename the files so you can remember what they are.

I've been advised that the files should be copy and pasted to another folder and then deleted from the folder. Apparently it is not recommended that you drag and drop.

Good luck!

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2021 1:36 AM in response to ToongTaoDaeng

A possible work around:

You can access the downloaded podcasts from the Podcast app in a Finder folder, and then copy the files to another folder or device.

1. Open Finder
  2. Open the "Go" drop down menu and press "option".
  3. You'll see a new entry named "Library". Open it.
  4. Open Group Containers
  5. Open the folder which ends in .groups.com.apple.podcasts There will be a group of alpha numeric characters before this ending.
  6. Open "Library"
  7. Open "Cache"

This "Cache" folder is where the downloaded podcasts from the Podcast app are stored.

I've added this "Cache" folder to the side menu of Finder for easy access until this issue is fixed in a future Big Sur update.

The files won't have the proper name of the podcasts (it will just be an alpha numeric string of characters), but they will have the dates they were downloaded. Therefore, you many want to rename the files so you can remember what they are.

I've been advised that the files should be copy and pasted to another folder and then deleted from the folder. Apparently it is not recommended that you drag and drop.

Good luck!

May 1, 2021 3:35 PM in response to ToongTaoDaeng

Apple should be ashamed of forcing users to do this ridiculous workaround. Ten years ago when I was using iTunes I could easily play podcasts and music in playlists in one application effortlessly. Since they inexplicably broke iTunes into three applications users have been made to jump through hoops just to get basic functions done. Once upon a time Steve Jobs sold Apple as a computer that "just works." Recently they have repeatedly made changes to applications that limit functionality for no apparent reason. I am baffled how anyone at apple can justify these changes. If anyone at apple is listening please fix Podcasts and Music so that podcasts can be dragged into playlists in music. Many users enjoy sequencing Podcasts and missing Podcasts in with songs so that we can exercise or commute without having to manually play individual Podcasts / songs. If you are wondering how it can be accomplished simply put the application back the way it was. It was a tedious process to drag and drop files from Podcasts to music, but at least it worked. The above workaround works but is a real hassle.

Jul 27, 2021 10:27 AM in response to HLakeL

After a while of just using the cache folder (not even checking if a fix has been made), I now find it more useful & straightforward. Here is why:

The MP3 player I use is a basic Sandisk clip jam. After moving from iTunes to Podcasts I found that I could only copy one podcast at a time to my player, otherwise podcasts would get corrupted - so while playing podcast A, parts of podcast B or podcast C would 'interupt'. You could see the copy process was a) create folder b) copy files to folder c) repackage files/folder into a single mp3 entry. Somehow trying to copy more than one podcast created some sort of issue (threading or otherwise)

Anyway, copying multiple files from cache is a simple file copy and none of the corruption issues regardless of the amount of files copied. Faster as well!

Jul 27, 2021 1:17 PM in response to badGraphics

It is not easier, and all of the file names have been changed to random gibberish. Apple needs to fix this immediately. I've been an Apple user since 1990 and recall Apple users being extremely enthusiastic about the Apple brand. Most of my friends are graphic designers, video editors, and music producers. All continue to use Apple because they are tied to the Apple ecosystem but, and I say this without exception, all are also extremely disappointed in the direction Apple has moved. It used to be true that Apple just worked. Now they make arbitrary changes for the sole reason of giving their employees a justification for remaining employed. Rather than improving their operating systems they make endless changes that destroy the user experience. Apple is making more money than ever, but their users are no longer even remotely happy with their products. Hey Apple, fix Music. Since, breaking iTunes into separate applications nothing works well and the user experience has become a daily nightmare.

Big Sur 11.3 Podcast App-- Can no longer drag and drop to Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.