Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a family member be able to track my AirTag?

If I have a family member in Family Sharing will they be able to track my AirTag like they can with my other Apple Devices?

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 12:22 PM

If you’re wondering if you can share an AirTag so other family members can track an item with you, such as viewing it’s location - I don’t think Apple has released a feature for that yet.

If you’re concerned that a family member could use an AirTag to track you from their side of the “Find My” app, this would be hard to due given that you can’t “share” access to an AirTag. You would also receive an alert that the AirTag is following you. I think Apple specifically avoided adding this feature for privacy and security reasons.

Even if it were possible, and other family members were using the same Apple ID as you, currently as of now Apple has only allowed for tracking from the current device you registered the AirTags with. As an example, even if you use Find My on your iPad or Mac - you wouldn’t be able to track your AirTags, except the device you registered or set them up on.

Hopefully this sort of answers your question!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2021 12:22 PM in response to Ryan2026

If you’re wondering if you can share an AirTag so other family members can track an item with you, such as viewing it’s location - I don’t think Apple has released a feature for that yet.

If you’re concerned that a family member could use an AirTag to track you from their side of the “Find My” app, this would be hard to due given that you can’t “share” access to an AirTag. You would also receive an alert that the AirTag is following you. I think Apple specifically avoided adding this feature for privacy and security reasons.

Even if it were possible, and other family members were using the same Apple ID as you, currently as of now Apple has only allowed for tracking from the current device you registered the AirTags with. As an example, even if you use Find My on your iPad or Mac - you wouldn’t be able to track your AirTags, except the device you registered or set them up on.

Hopefully this sort of answers your question!

May 3, 2021 7:06 AM in response to Ryan2026

For sure, I think it would be a convenient feature. There are other trackers you can look into third party vendor and manufacturers, that use Apple's Find My Network technology. I believe some of these trackers allow you to share a tracker so family members can use and view them too. I don't think it's likely Apple would release this feature currently though heavily and primarily for significant privacy and security reasons, but that may always change - and I think it'd be a cool feature to have too.

You can always request Apple to reconsider the idea although and suggest it to them here https://www.apple.com/feedback/.

Apr 28, 2021 5:26 AM in response to Limnos

Yes that tells me what happens if a family member has my AirTag with them, but that wasn’t the question. Let me give you a scenario, both me and my family member are at home and I lose my Wallet with an AirTag in side. My iPhone is currently charging so I can’t use it, can my family member then track it in the Find My app on their iPhone?

Will a family member be able to track my AirTag?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.