Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlock with Apple Watch issues for iOS 14

I can’t turn on unlock with Apple Watch on my iPhone, I did all the steps required to turn it on yet it continuously says that the iPhone can’t connect to the watch, any suggestions on how to fix it? (Tried restarting both devices)

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 7:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 7:50 AM

Yes, I have an Iphone 12 and a watch series 5 and they are paired, I just can't turn on the feature to unlock my phone with the watch, every time I try to turn it on it thinks for a bit and then I get a prompt saying "Unable to communicate with apple watch, make sure apple watch is turned on, unlocked and on your wrist" and I get 2 boxes "cancel or try again" and the same thing happens over and over again

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2021 7:50 AM in response to IB6857

Yes, I have an Iphone 12 and a watch series 5 and they are paired, I just can't turn on the feature to unlock my phone with the watch, every time I try to turn it on it thinks for a bit and then I get a prompt saying "Unable to communicate with apple watch, make sure apple watch is turned on, unlocked and on your wrist" and I get 2 boxes "cancel or try again" and the same thing happens over and over again

Apr 27, 2021 9:02 AM in response to Datguytyron

Is iPhone updated to iOS 14.5?

Is Watch updated to watchOS 7.4?

If not, first update both devices.

It needs to be enabled in the Settings app by going to Face ID & Passcode and toggling on "Unlock with Apple Watch."

You will need to make sure your Apple Watch is on your wrist and authenticated for the unlocking process to work,

There is a proximity function, so it will not unlock if your ‌iPhone‌ is not near your watch, and your full face can't be covered. There's still a partial Face ID scan included that looks for your eyes.

Unlock with Apple Watch issues for iOS 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.