Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac pro speakers are not working

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 7:43 PM

scortell wrote:

My MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Mid 2015) has static in both speakers

Do headphones or external speakers sound Ok? If so, then you will need to have the internal speakers replaced. I've had to replace a lot of speakers on our organization's MBPro 15" (2015) models (and even the MBPro 13" 2014). I've never seen so many speaker failures in my life. Unfortunately I don't advise replacing the speakers yourself since the majority of fragile and easily damaged components must be removed from the laptop to access the speakers. Fortunately Apple will still repair your laptop. IIRC the speakers for this model cost about $50 US (of course labor and taxes are extra and vary by region). I don't know why Apple made the speakers on the 15" model so aggravating since the 13" model has easily accessible/replaceable speakers.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2021 7:43 PM in response to scortell

scortell wrote:

My MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Mid 2015) has static in both speakers

Do headphones or external speakers sound Ok? If so, then you will need to have the internal speakers replaced. I've had to replace a lot of speakers on our organization's MBPro 15" (2015) models (and even the MBPro 13" 2014). I've never seen so many speaker failures in my life. Unfortunately I don't advise replacing the speakers yourself since the majority of fragile and easily damaged components must be removed from the laptop to access the speakers. Fortunately Apple will still repair your laptop. IIRC the speakers for this model cost about $50 US (of course labor and taxes are extra and vary by region). I don't know why Apple made the speakers on the 15" model so aggravating since the 13" model has easily accessible/replaceable speakers.

Apr 27, 2021 4:25 PM in response to scortell

What is the exact model of your Mac? You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac".

Have you made sure to unmute the speakers and raise the volume? Try a PRAM Reset (hold for at least three chimes if possible -- not possible with newer systems).

Do you have any external speakers or headphones connected?

In the Sound System Preferences do you see the internal speakers listed? If not, then when you attempt to play audio do you see a red light in the headphone jack port?

Run the Apple Diagnostics.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.