Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use webp image files in FCP?

I received a FCP library that includes some images with the .webp extension. Apparently it's a Google image format. They show as Missing Plugin when selected in the browser or timeline. The producer who worked on the library doesn't know/remember how he's able to use them on his machine. Is there a FCP plugin or is webp enabled at the MacOS level? I found a GitHub project that enables Preview to show webp files. Is this what's needed? Any advice?

Thanks,

Terry

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 7:09 PM

You have to convert it.

If you open the webp in a browser (like firefox) then right click on it and Copy Image from the popup, open Preview and select New From Clipboard ( command-N) and it will open. Once you get there, you can export as any available format you want.

What's weird is that I had the webp downloaded, right-clicked on it and Open With Preview (default) — Preview launched, but did not open the image. Going the other way around (described above) worked.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2021 7:09 PM in response to terryb

You have to convert it.

If you open the webp in a browser (like firefox) then right click on it and Copy Image from the popup, open Preview and select New From Clipboard ( command-N) and it will open. Once you get there, you can export as any available format you want.

What's weird is that I had the webp downloaded, right-clicked on it and Open With Preview (default) — Preview launched, but did not open the image. Going the other way around (described above) worked.

How to use webp image files in FCP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.