Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with unlocking iPhone with Apple Watch.

My apple watch won’t unlock my phone. I met all of the requirements and it still won’t open. When I swipe up on the Lock Screen, my phone says “Enter passcode or Face ID to unlock with Apple Watch”. Can someone help me with this problem?

iPhone 12

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 4:27 PM

3 replies

Apr 27, 2021 5:16 PM in response to DonkeyDud

Enter your Apple Watch 4 digit passcode.

It also appears you have unlock your Apple Watch with your iPhone enabled, so after putting your Apple Watch on your wrist, unlock your iPhone, and it should unlock your Apple Watch.

Once you Apple Watch is unlocked either via the passcode or the iPhone, as long as you do not take it off your wrist, or wear it so loosely that it looses contact with your wrist, your Apple Watch will remain authorized, and it should unlock your iPhone the next time you want to unlock it.

Your Apple Watch will also work with Apple Pay after it has been authorized for the day, which is very convenient if you have Apple Pay setup. I do not even have to remove my iPhone from my pocket to pay for things. Just double click on the oval side button and select my payment type, and wave the face of my Apple Watch over the scanner.

Some iPhone unlock with Apple Watch articles:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/04/ios-14-5-offers-unlock-iphone-with-apple-watch-diverse-siri-voices-and-more

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/unlock-iphone-wearing-mask-with-apple-watch

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212208

Apr 28, 2021 10:16 AM in response to BobHarris

I am also having problems with the Apple Watch unlock feature for the iPhone. It will work about 10-15% of the time. 50% of the time, the screen stating the watch is unlocking the iPhone never comes up. Another 30-40% of the time the screen comes up stating the watch is unlocking the phone, however the phone never unlocks. Lastly, 10-20% of the time, the screen comes up stating the watch is unlocking the phone and it actually unlocks the phone.

In all cases, the watch is unlocked and on my wrist. In some cases, these instances(all 3 results in some cases) take place within minutes or seconds of each other and my wrist has not even moved at all, so it is not because of a loose watch on my wrist

Apr 28, 2021 10:19 AM in response to BobHarris

“Once you Apple Watch is unlocked either via the passcode or the iPhone, as long as you do not take it off your wrist, or wear it so loosely that it looses contact with your wrist, your Apple Watch will remain authorized, and it should unlock your iPhone the next time you want to unlock it. “

Well, it doesn’t work. Once I tapped lock iPhone on the watch.

the watch will not unlock the iPhone regardless how many times I lock and unlock the watch.

Problem with unlocking iPhone with Apple Watch.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.