Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie custom speed for clip - BUG

Changing the custom speed of a clip in iMovie does not work.

x2 x4 etc work and change the clip, but selecting Custom 130% for example has no effect.

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 3:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 8:41 AM

Ian's instructions should work. So go with his good advice.

If no luck, try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the custom speed adjustment works.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If you are still having trouble, you might try control-clicking on the video clip in the time line and selecting Show Speed Editor from the pop-up menu that appears. Doing that will reveal a speed adjustment slider handle in the upper right hand corner of the clip. Drag the slider to the left to speed up (shorten) the clip. Drag to the right to slow down (lengthen) the clip. That way you can manually adjust to any speed that you want.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2021 8:41 AM in response to SmithIT2000

Ian's instructions should work. So go with his good advice.

If no luck, try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the custom speed adjustment works.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If you are still having trouble, you might try control-clicking on the video clip in the time line and selecting Show Speed Editor from the pop-up menu that appears. Doing that will reveal a speed adjustment slider handle in the upper right hand corner of the clip. Drag the slider to the left to speed up (shorten) the clip. Drag to the right to slow down (lengthen) the clip. That way you can manually adjust to any speed that you want.

-- Rich

Apr 28, 2021 8:55 AM in response to Rich839

Actually, you are right. I tried using the Custom speed adjustment to adjust to 130% and got no result. Possibly that was because the 130% setting would have resulted in a speed of less than 0.1 seconds for the clip, that I believe is the fastest that iMovie will go. The other speed adjustments worked. I would go with the manual adjustment with the speed slider as I described in my previous post. It will be easier to use the speed slider if you first expand out your timeline with the slider that is located above and to the right of the timeline.

-- Rich

iMovie custom speed for clip - BUG

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.