Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Page Load Error - JavaScript Broken After Update to 14.1 - "A problem repeatedly occurred with..."

Safari Version 14.1 (15611.1.21.161.5, 15611) ( after update to Catalina 10.15.7 )

Description: While loading you first get the gray top banner “This webpage was reloaded because a problem occurred”

example: go to macrumors.com most information loads

In other cases you end loading with a blank gray page and the text

"A problem repeatedly occurred with “https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/CHDK_1.5_User_Manual"

Example: go to  https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/CHDK_1.5_User_Manual

or

my bank www.rbc.com and  click on “sign in"

Partial Solution: Turning off “Enable Javascript” in Safari: Preferences: Security resolves the the issue BUT pages are only partially complete and lack functionality.

I have noticed that the total page load fail happens just after a banner ad tries to load...

Apple: Please fix

PS Reinstalling the OS is unacceptable... reminder me of Microsoft Windows

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 10:55 AM

UPDATE:

I love the irony that JavaScript needs to be enable to access these forums...

I have been working on this issue and so far the only current workarounds / solutions are:

1) Reinstall the OS BUT I have not tested and is time consuming...

2) Use Firefox ( My preferred solution while I wait for Apple to release a fix/update. )

3) Use Chrome ( I avoid due to security concerns and data harvesting by the big G. )

4) Install the Apple Developer preview of Safari 14.2 ( https://developer.apple.com/safari/technology-preview/ ) NOTE this is a preview that coexists with the current version of Safari ).  Since it is not an official release there are risks.  I have tested and it works perfectly opening problem sites.

Some research on the net points to an issue with a file named libwebrtc.dylib.  With 14.1 it has the date March 1 2021, the version with the 14.2 Preview is March 30 2021...  Due to strict OS integrity controls by Apple (SIP) one cannot simply delete the updated version of Safari and reinstall the previous version from a TimeMachine backup. The same is true for other System files like libwebrtc.dylib .  I may test a file swap by disabling SIP, swap the file and reenable SIP  but that is a risky test and I need time in case a full OS rebuild is needed.

So far Firefox is  the simplest solution

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2021 10:55 AM in response to Don Mactavish

UPDATE:

I love the irony that JavaScript needs to be enable to access these forums...

I have been working on this issue and so far the only current workarounds / solutions are:

1) Reinstall the OS BUT I have not tested and is time consuming...

2) Use Firefox ( My preferred solution while I wait for Apple to release a fix/update. )

3) Use Chrome ( I avoid due to security concerns and data harvesting by the big G. )

4) Install the Apple Developer preview of Safari 14.2 ( https://developer.apple.com/safari/technology-preview/ ) NOTE this is a preview that coexists with the current version of Safari ).  Since it is not an official release there are risks.  I have tested and it works perfectly opening problem sites.

Some research on the net points to an issue with a file named libwebrtc.dylib.  With 14.1 it has the date March 1 2021, the version with the 14.2 Preview is March 30 2021...  Due to strict OS integrity controls by Apple (SIP) one cannot simply delete the updated version of Safari and reinstall the previous version from a TimeMachine backup. The same is true for other System files like libwebrtc.dylib .  I may test a file swap by disabling SIP, swap the file and reenable SIP  but that is a risky test and I need time in case a full OS rebuild is needed.

So far Firefox is  the simplest solution

May 5, 2021 3:37 AM in response to Don Mactavish

Updated Solution:  Apple released an update for Safari Late May 4th 2021.  

The net is full of people with issues after an update from Apple the last week of April 2021 update from Apple.  It has impacted OSX Catalina and Mojave.  I am on Catalina so I cannot comment on Big Sur.

Safari Version 14.1 (15611.1.21.161.5, 15611) has issues with some pages that use JavaScript and this includes ebay, netflix, bank logins.

Symptom: 

- Page may not load at all.

- While loading you first get the gray top banner “This webpage was reloaded because a problem occurred”

- In other cases you end loading with a gray page and a message: "A problem repeatedly occurred with “http…”

Test: Turning off “Enable Javascript” in Safari: Preferences: Security resolves the the issue BUT pages are only partially complete and lack functionality.

Check if you need the update:

1) Check your version of Safari ( Menu Safari:About ) if it is 14.1 you may have the issue that impacted sites that use JavaScript..

2) Check the date of the Safari app in Finder Applications.  If it is PRIOR to May 4/5th 2021 you need to update.

3) Go to System Preferences: Software Update and check for any updates.  NOTE if you are NOT on Big Sur you do not need to upgrade to Big Sur.  Look for updates for your OS. There is a link  below the Big Sur update icon and link.  See image below.

I have tested the latest version  14.1 (15611.1.21.161.7, 15611) app dated May 5 2021 and it solved the issues I ( and many others ) were having with Safari 14.1.

I hope this helps

May 5, 2021 6:51 PM in response to Don Mactavish

Thanks, Don. The build # for Mojave is 14611.1.21.161.7 issued May 4. My bad # causing all the problems ends in .5 and I'm wondering if there was a .6 or maybe there will be a .8 etc. So I think I'll wait a couple of days, as another user suggested, to be sure we don't go chasing around for multiple fixes. In any case, kudos to you for being so kind to post the fix in such a timely manner. You remind me of the old days of Apple Legendary Support (sigh)!

Jun 21, 2021 11:54 AM in response to CA-73

I'm still on Mojave (I know, I know, need to update) with Safari 14.1.1 (14611.2.7.1.6) and still can't access one of my banking sites (Fifth Third Bank). I think I've upgraded Safari twice since it stopped working about a year ago. Have to launch Firefox just for that one website, very annoying. Will there be a fix for Safari that works with Mojave or am I out of luck until I get on Catalina and then Big Sur?

Page Load Error - JavaScript Broken After Update to 14.1 - "A problem repeatedly occurred with..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.