Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple watch not able to unlock phone

I was able to unlock my iPhone by means of my Apple Watch when I was wearing face mask. However, this convenience was short-lived. I could not unlock my iPhone (when I was wearing face mask) unless I keyed manually my passcode. I wonder whether there is available information in the community to let me know how to overcome this issue I have experienced. I have to unpair my watch and set it up, before I am able to make it unlock my iPhone when I wear face mask.

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2021 2:46 PM

My watch is now working consistently to unlock my phone when I am wearing mask. I have to switch on the wifi and Bluetooth at all time even though I won’t need wifi for mobile connectivity to the internet. Try and see whether this helps.

5 replies

May 6, 2021 12:36 PM in response to jonson_ng

Its about 50 / 50 success rate with me. 

Truly my favourite moment is the Passcode screen advising me to unlock the iPhone so that the Watch can unlock it. Instructions about as clear as those for Tracking Transparency (hint: turned off or on, its still on).

And after I do unlock the phone via the Passcode, my wrist then buzzes to advise me the Watch unlocked it. Sigh. 

Updates and hard reboots of both have accomplished nothing. All settings are correct - or I wouldn't have the limited success I do have.

I kinda think Apple needs to get folks back to work at the donut. Clearly this working from the kitchen table at home thing has does things to their coding skills. Mind you, there was the original Apple Maps...

Still, it would be nice if the app worked as intended consistently.

May 7, 2021 5:52 AM in response to jonson_ng

Thanks for the suggestion jonson_ng, but both are running as a matter of course already. Like I said, I get about 50/50 success rate with this, even when the Watch is on the same wrist as the hand holding the iPhone. So it is capable of working - it just doesn't.

There seems to be no other connectivity issue between Watch and iPhone as far as other apps or Notifications are concerned.

This doesn't appear to be a rare occurrence, either. Noted postings on other sites' Forums with same issue. Doesn't appear to be a model of Watch thing - if both devices can handle their most recent respective OSs, they should work consistently - yet don't.

Disappointing. Another product from Apple's 'You're Holding It Wrong' Department?

apple watch not able to unlock phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.