Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

scp broken after update to 11.3

After updating to 11.3 scp from my MBP is consistently broken for files larger than ~200 KB with the error "client_loop: send disconnect: Broken pipe"

$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=test.dat count=400 2> /dev/null && ls -l test.dat && scp test.dat $DST
-rw-r--r--  1 xxxx  staff  204800 Apr 28 11:27 test.dat
test.dat                                        0%    0     0.0KB/s   --:-- ETAclient_loop: send disconnect: Broken pipe
lost connection

This is definitely new, as I'm using scp on an almost-daily basis and never had an issue before the update. This behavior is also visible on 2 different server architectures I've used as a destination (to rule out a coincidental server misconfiguration).

What is also weird is that the problem shows for both stock SSH as well as for Homebrew SSH install, which hints of either SSH client configuration issue or a bug in the networking stack. I'm curious if anyone else is observing the same issue.

P.S. One imperfect way to workaround the issue is to use a sufficiently low bandwidth limit (-l option):

$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=test.dat count=400 2> /dev/null && ls -l test.dat && scp -l 30000 test.dat $DST
-rw-r--r--  1 xxxx  staff  204800 Apr 28 11:39 test.dat
test.dat                                      100%  200KB   3.1MB/s   00:00 

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 8:42 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 28, 2021 8:54 AM in response to abelikoff

@abelikoff - FWIW I use Filezilla for all of my Mac-attached storage movement. It has never failed me yet and is much faster than any Mac file access. However, this is all GUI based file movement and I see you're using the CLI. There is a CLI interface for Filezilla though. See https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Command-line_arguments_(Client)

Just a thought....

scp broken after update to 11.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.