Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Networking on Mac crashes

I have a 2014 Mac Mini running Big Sur 11.2.1. I use my Mac to connect to my work network. My Mac's networking crashes when I attempt to transfer a file to or from a SMB share that is located on the office network. Here is how it happens:

1) Launch Cisco Anyconnect (v4.9.00542) and connect to my work's VPN server.

2) Launch automator script to connect to SMB shares.

3) Open one of the shares to browse to the folder I want to copy to (the browsing is very slow and takes a few minutes to get to the correct folder).

4) I drag and drop the file (4K in size) I want copied.

5) I see the progress bar show the initial copy info (file size and status of the copy which has not started).

6) After a few minutes I will get a notification that the VPN connection was dropped and attempting to reconnect.

7) I get a notification that the SMB shares are not responding and would I like to ignore or disconnect them. The choice doesn't matter because the shares are disconnected.

8) At this point the ability to reconnect to the VPN, SMB shares, or browse any page on the web has stopped. The networking will not return unless I reboot the Mac.

Things I have tried to fix the issue without success

1) Created a nsmb.conf in /etc to disable signing required and to force the Mac to use SMB 3

2) Followed the document http://www.debugginlife.com/solved-very-slow-file-transfer-on-mac-shares-smbafp/

3) Followed the document https://osxdaily.com/2020/11/23/how-fix-macos-big-sur-wifi-issues/

4) Followed the document https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208209

I am not sure what to do at this point. This Mac worked fine before the upgrade to Big Sur. I have a MacBook Pro running the same version of Big Sur and it works fine (navigating the shares is slow but it doesn't crash).

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 12:51 AM

Managed to find the cause for us, we had one Big Sur Mac Mini that didn't have this issue, after comparing software versions with other macs running same hardware I noticed a difference in Cisco Anyconnect. The mac that didn't have the issue was running 4.9.04053 and all others running 4.9.02028. After updating all the version to the latest we have 4.9.06037 we thankfully don't get the issue anymore (tested on 8 macs). We run Cisco umbrella as part of Anyconnect as well if that makes any difference.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2021 12:51 AM in response to DRichardson431

Managed to find the cause for us, we had one Big Sur Mac Mini that didn't have this issue, after comparing software versions with other macs running same hardware I noticed a difference in Cisco Anyconnect. The mac that didn't have the issue was running 4.9.04053 and all others running 4.9.02028. After updating all the version to the latest we have 4.9.06037 we thankfully don't get the issue anymore (tested on 8 macs). We run Cisco umbrella as part of Anyconnect as well if that makes any difference.

Feb 28, 2021 2:15 PM in response to DougalSG

No, not yet. I have only narrowed it down a little. The problem happens regardless of whether I am connected to the VPN. I recently took my Mac Mini into the office and it behaved the same way. I connected to the corporate wireless, mounted the shares and tried to copy a file. After a couple of minutes I was disconnected from the shares and my network connection stopped working.

Networking on Mac crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.