Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unwanted repetition of text

See the screen shot below.

When this screen shot was taken, though you don't see my cursor, the cursor was hovering over the Highlight icon--not clicked, just hovering.

When I hover over something--anything at all--a frame appears with a light gray background that repeats the content of whatever I'm hovering over and in this case it explains the icon. You see the light gray frame in the screen shot, that reads "Text highlight color (Bright Green)."

It's not only annoying, but often obscures a large section of my window if I hover over something that is a long piece of text.

This is a new occurrence. I figured it had to do with accessibility settings, but I find nothing clicked that calls for these boxes to appear.

They appear not only in Apple apps but in MS Word (as in the present instance) and other apps as well.

How can I turn this off?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 7:31 AM

As usual, no sooner had I posted, than I found the solution to my problem:

Click the Apple icon>System Preferences>Accessibility>Zoom>Enable Hover Text

I had inadvertently hit the keyboard shortcut for this.

When I unchecked the Enable Hover Text box, my probably was resolved.

2 replies

Apr 29, 2021 6:32 AM in response to Bill Boone

I’m aware of no system-wide setting for what Apple calls tooltips. Log your feedback with Apple: Product Feedback - Apple

Some apps can have their own controls, or can increase the delay before showing the tooltip, and some folks don’t place the cursor over a control. At least some versions of Microsoft Office Word do have a mechanism to disable what Office calls “ScreenTips”, for instance.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/show-or-hide-screentips-72d92d6a-6d2a-40fd-9ac2-fb9413ffce18

I don’t have Office around to confirm this.

Unwanted repetition of text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.