Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernal Panic, External Display Issue

Hello Apple Community. So I have been connecting my laptop (through a USB-c hub) to my power supply, and my display through a usb-c to display port. It worked fine, until one day I disconnected it, and my mac's control strip disappeared, and the mac kept shutting down (kernal panics, sometimes when awake, but every time when I put it to sleep). I reset everything I could (SMC, Vram/pram, and no problems in hardware diagnostic) but with no success. Then I plugged my cables in the same way, and everything magically fixed (control strip back, and no kernal panics). However today the problems reappeared. Is this a hardware, software, or short circuit problem (usb c to display port cable is new by the way)? anybody have any advice ? Thank you :)

MAC: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 9:21 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 29, 2021 11:50 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you very much Grant for the info, and I will definitely try that. Unfortunately the other reports didn't upload, but they seem to have different causes (I am no expert though) You can find them in this reply. Do you think there could also be any connection to the connection to the display / USB-C hub? thank you again very much for taking the time to for review my case!

Apr 29, 2021 9:27 AM in response to AB1073

Panic Reports are stored at:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

If you copy and paste that string into:

Finder > Go menu > Go to Folder

it will take you to where those reports are stored.

They are named with Date&Time and start or end in ‘panic’

If you find one, please post the entire report here, by using the “additional text” Icon in the reply footer (looks like a paper with writing).

Please don’t post more about 20 lines of any other types of reports — they are interminable, and any information useful for this purpose is on the first screenful.

There are three quick take-aways from any panic report.

1) The panic-reason,

2) the extensions present at the "scene of the crime", and

3) the BSD process in which the problem occurred.

One more item that is important is the names of any third-party Extensions you have added. They are shown FIRST in the extensions loaded section

Apr 29, 2021 11:21 AM in response to AB1073

MacBook Pro 13-in Touch Bar 2019 running 10.15.7

The issue in both cases is this one:

panic: "ACPI: Fatal opcode executed

In this case "illegal opcode" is akin to an error in calling sequence.

ACPI is the subsystem responsible keeping track of internal hardware components and their sleeping and waking states.

Extensions present at the scene the crime include ACPI drivers, PCI bus drivers and System Management Controller (SMC) drivers. Bad process is kernel_task, so Extensions may be an issue. they are:

com.google.drivefs.filesystems.dfsfuse 45.3.0

org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp 6.1.4

org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt 6.1.4

org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB 6.1.4

org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv 6.1.4

com.paragon-software.filesystems.ntfs 71.5.15

if you are not actively using VirtualBox on a daily basis, you should remove it to facilitate debugging.

I suggest you disable most automatic sleep especially power nap if available to you, as well as "wake for network access".

:

Kernal Panic, External Display Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.