Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apostrophes and quotation marks

Hello,

Apostrophes and quotation marks on Hebrew Mac keyboard are diagonal and tilted (׳ ״) whereas in Windows they are upright (' ").

Problem is when searching a text contacting these marks, Windows user wouldn't find the text because the marks are different.

Is there any way to type the upright apostrophes and quote marks on Mac without using emoji and symbols?

Hope the problem I presented is clear.

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2021 10:22 AM

shlook wrote:

I tried this solution before. First off, it's not comfortable to switch to another lanhgage everytime I want to type an apostrophe or a quotation mark.

I suggest you try switching to the Hebrew PC keyboard. I think it has the Latin apostrophe and quote marks on the W key and over at the right side of the middle row, as shown below:

As for Word, I think its spell check may be buggy. Hebrew uses Latin quotation marks (it has none of its own) and their presence should not be signaled as a spelling error. The Latin apostrophe is more debatable, since geresh is the right way to do it, but still it is a common substitution and should probably be accepted.

For info on switching keyboards, see

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/type-language-mac-input-sources-mchlp1406/11.0/mac/11.0

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2021 10:22 AM in response to shlook

shlook wrote:

I tried this solution before. First off, it's not comfortable to switch to another lanhgage everytime I want to type an apostrophe or a quotation mark.

I suggest you try switching to the Hebrew PC keyboard. I think it has the Latin apostrophe and quote marks on the W key and over at the right side of the middle row, as shown below:

As for Word, I think its spell check may be buggy. Hebrew uses Latin quotation marks (it has none of its own) and their presence should not be signaled as a spelling error. The Latin apostrophe is more debatable, since geresh is the right way to do it, but still it is a common substitution and should probably be accepted.

For info on switching keyboards, see

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/type-language-mac-input-sources-mchlp1406/11.0/mac/11.0

Apr 29, 2021 2:00 PM in response to shlook

Howdy,

I don't use a Hebrew keyboard, but it sounds like you have Smart Quotes enabled.

…replace straight quotes with “curly” quotes (called smart quotes).

If you don't want to use Smart Quotes you can disable them, and you may need to look in several places.

Start with System Preferences > Keyboard > Text > [ ] Use Smart quotes and dashes.

And also various Apps you use.

Like TextEdit > Preferences > New Document > [ ] Smart quotes, and [ ] Smart quotes and dashes in rich text documents only

Pages > Preferences > Auto-Correction > [ ] Use smart quotes and dashes.

Of course check the Preferences for other Apps you use.

ivan

Apr 30, 2021 11:39 AM in response to shlook

shlook wrote: When I type the name George on Mac it looks like that: ג׳ורג׳ – regardless of the font used, but in Windows it looks like that: 'ג'ורג.

My understanding is that for the best typography, the example you give, George, should ideally be typed with Geresh if that character is available, but that Apostrophe is sometimes used as a replacement. If a font designed specifically for Hebrew is used, you may find that the Apostrophe has been made to look just like the Geresh, as shown below:

Apr 29, 2021 2:03 PM in response to shlook

The shape of those marks is determined by the font. There should be no difference between the actual characters created on either Mac or Windows (if you are talking about geresh and gershayim, U+5f3, U+5f4). Has someone told you that searching on Windows does not work?

Do you want English apostrophes and quote marks? Which Hebrew keyboard layout are you using?

Apr 30, 2021 4:40 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Yes, I'm talking about Geresh, Gershayim and Merkha'ot. For example, When I type the name George on Mac it looks like that: ג׳ורג׳ – regardless of the font used, but in Windows it looks like that: 'ג'ורג.

I'm just using the regular Hebrew keyboard that comes with Mac (also on iPhone).

I don't want the English curly quotes. Just the same upright apostrophes and quotes as on Windows.

Apr 30, 2021 5:47 AM in response to shlook

shlook wrote:

I'm just using the regular Hebrew keyboard that comes with Mac (also on iPhone).
I don't want the English curly quotes. Just the same upright apostrophes and quotes as on Windows.

To make the upright marks with the keyboard called "Hebrew " (there are two other keyboards supplied by Apple on a Mac), hit the Caps Lock key. After doing that, you will find ' and " at their usual (English keyboard) place at the right end of the middle row. To go back to Hebrew, hit caps lock again.

Let us know if that works for you and if it solves the search problem.

For the iPhone/iPad I will post later.

Apostrophes and quotation marks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.