Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos on iMac crashes when an iPhone 7 is selected in the Photos left menu, every time

iPhone 7 w/ iOS 4.4.2 connected to iMac late 2015 w/ OS 11.2.3 via USB port; Photos vrs 6.0 (330.0.150)

Photos on iMac crashes when an iPhone 7 is selected in the Photos left sidebar, every time.

I've restarted iMac, and did a cold start (power + vol. down buttons) on the iPhone, no change to symptoms.

I updated iPhone 7 to 14.5 and Photos still crashes.

What should I try?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 1:05 AM

Hi

Has this just started for no reason? Has there been any change to the system (eg upgrading MacOS, or moving the library to a new location). If you have moved your library (recently or in the past), where to, and what is the format of the volume it is on.

1 - Try starting your mac in safe mode. Does it still happen.

2 - Try creating a new empty library and see if it happens in when that library is opened.

3 - Try creating a new user account, and try from the photos app in that user account.

These checks will help us determine if it is a system wide problem, or specific to a particular library or user.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2021 1:05 AM in response to flashgordonp

Hi

Has this just started for no reason? Has there been any change to the system (eg upgrading MacOS, or moving the library to a new location). If you have moved your library (recently or in the past), where to, and what is the format of the volume it is on.

1 - Try starting your mac in safe mode. Does it still happen.

2 - Try creating a new empty library and see if it happens in when that library is opened.

3 - Try creating a new user account, and try from the photos app in that user account.

These checks will help us determine if it is a system wide problem, or specific to a particular library or user.

May 3, 2021 5:35 PM in response to TonyCollinet

With this set up, my iPad Pro does not crash Photos, and I successfully transfer photos from iPad to iMac Photos. I store photos locally, on a Raid 1 disk pair, connected via Firewire/Thunderbolt without any other daisy-chained devices. I do not use iCloud Photos, My Photo Stream, nor Shared Albums. I have about 8500 photos/videos in the library

Your suggestions are great, but I didn't mention this in my original question.

I created a new library and Photos did NOT crash when I selected iPhone 7 in the left sidebar.

I went back to the original library, and Photos did NOT crash when I selected iPhone 7 in the left sidebar (first time).

And then I successfully imported a few photos to this original iMac Photos library. SUCCESS. Thank you.

Photos on iMac crashes when an iPhone 7 is selected in the Photos left menu, every time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.