Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Malware Software On Any Kind Of Mac Useful?

You've probably heard of Anti-Malware Software and you'd probably heard of companies like 'Avast', 'Malwarebytes' (which Apple recommended), 'CCleaner', Norton, And many, many others.

Anyhow, My question is, is that is any Malware Software which says that they'd protect your Mac, provides VPN's to hide your location and updates your outdated drivers for you, etc...... Does it actually help your Mac or is just another piece of Junk added to your Mac?

I tried some of their VPN's and they actually work. I switched on their VPN to show to other websites that I was like maybe in California or maybe like Egypt..... And websites that tracked me said the same thing that I wanted it to think.

Once I downloaded a Maware Software, which was pretty stupid of me, because I wished for a thing from the internet. The Anti-Malware Software blocked it from going further. If I did not install that Anti-Malware Software, It would of probably stole info and other things that I am afraid to even say.

And about the Driver Updater, it costed £$€¥ (basically money) so I couldn't be bothered to buy it, possibly wasting money and space on my Mac.

So tell me, Is it a waste of space on your Mac, or does it actually help you?

Thank You For Your Time Reading This Chunk!

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 6:49 AM

What is malware on Mac? - Apple Support

Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

Ways to avoid malware and harmful apps on Mac - Apple Support

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

macOS contains powerful built-in security measures that will help you and your data to stay safe. They aren't foolproof, though. In the event that you are infected with malware, visit https://malwarebytes.com and download the free application. There's no need to use the real-time protection feature or purchase the premium plan as long as you understand how to avoid malware.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 6:49 AM in response to TheKingSlasher2121

What is malware on Mac? - Apple Support

Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

Ways to avoid malware and harmful apps on Mac - Apple Support

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

macOS contains powerful built-in security measures that will help you and your data to stay safe. They aren't foolproof, though. In the event that you are infected with malware, visit https://malwarebytes.com and download the free application. There's no need to use the real-time protection feature or purchase the premium plan as long as you understand how to avoid malware.

May 3, 2021 6:43 AM in response to TheKingSlasher2121

TheKingSlasher2121 wrote:

I tried some of their VPN's and they actually work. I switched on their VPN to show to other websites that I was like maybe in California or maybe like Egypt..... And websites that tracked me said the same thing that I wanted it to think.

Yes, but the VPN company was tracking you. So, no real net gain.

So tell me, Is it a waste of space on your Mac, or does it actually help you?

Generally speaking, a waste of space or worse.

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Apr 29, 2021 7:35 PM in response to TheKingSlasher2121

It depends.

On one hand, security and VPN apps are some of the most popular categories for scams. There are a few good ones, but they are outnumbered by scams 10-to-1.

On the other hand, people do regularly fall for scams. And I don’t mean a few people. Scams are one of the most profitable types of software. People who find themselves regularly being tricked into installing malware would probably be better off with reliable 3rd party security apps.

Is Malware Software On Any Kind Of Mac Useful?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.