Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud sync for Safari logons

My iPhone, iPad, and iMac Pro Safari apps are not syncing bookmarks and logon info. All this was working until a few months ago... if I changed a website password on my iMac Pro, it would update automatically on my iPhone Xs and on my iPad Pro.

Over the past few months, I've noticed -- to my great annoyance -- Safari no longer syncs across my Apple devices... so now I have outdated website passwords and different bookmarks on different devices.

I have read many Apple docs on iCloud sync, but none of them seem to directly reference Safari syncing.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2021 1:39 PM

On the computer, have you gone to System Preferences/iCloud (Apple ID for Catalina or later) and turned off Safari syncing. Then signed out of iCloud, then signed back in, and turned Safari syncing on?

Similar questions

4 replies

May 1, 2021 10:08 AM in response to SCADA-Guy

Hello SCADA-Guy,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your post that the passwords saved in Safari are not syncing to your other devices. Make sure that all your devices have iCloud Keychain enabled and are connected to a strong Wi-Fi or cellular network. This article has additional information on what to do if iCloud Keychain is not syncing between your devices:

If iCloud Keychain won't turn on or sync - Apple Support

"If iCloud Keychain won't sync with other devices

Make sure that your new device has the latest version of iOS or iPadOS, or the latest version of macOS. Then, make sure that your device is on a Wi-Fi or cellular network. If the connection appears strong, turn on iCloud Keychain on the devices you want sync with."

Best Regards.

May 2, 2021 1:10 PM in response to Alwayswantingtohelp1

To clarify, I have been using Apple hardware/software since the Apple II+ was new.

I have been using iCloud to sync across all devices since that became available (years ago).

All was working well until just recently; maybe 2-3 months ago I noticed that my iPad Pro Safari was not sync'd with my iMac Pro Safari (also, my iPhone XS Safari was not sync'd to my iMac Pro Safari).

I turned on the iCloud Keychain feature on each of my devices when they were new out of the box and have not turned it off on any of them since. All devices are always running the latest OS; I install all updates within 24-48 hours of availability.

I have confirmed that iCloud Keychains is turned "on" and active on all devices; I have the iOS devices configured to sync over Wi-Fi; my Wi-Fi network uses the Apple Airport; the signal is strong -- I'm within 10 feet of the Airport router.

The only reasonable explanation is that iCloud Keychain was changed/modified/corrupted during either an iOS update on the iPhone or iPad, or during a Mac OS update on the iMac.

When I open the iMac Pro Safari app "preferences" and compare the password list to the iPad Pro password list, it is obvious that the two systems are not syncing.

I had the iMac and iPad connected by cable yesterday, performed several "sync" sessions, and the Safari passwords are not sync'd. The sync resolved a separate problem with the Podcast app content, but did not seem to affect the Safari passwords.

iCloud sync for Safari logons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.