You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck in an endless "Verification Required" loop in the App Store

Hey there, I just bought a new iPhone 12 and encountered a weird bug with it. I actually figured out how to resolve it myself, but I wanted to add the solution here since when I searched the web for a solution I couldn't find one.

After going through initial setup, I went to the App Store to attempt to download new apps. When I tried to download an app, I was presented with a "Verification Required" screen, asking me to enter my Apple ID password. After doing so, I was shown a screen with my billing address on it and nothing else (it did say "None" at the top, which ended up being a clue later). After verifying my billing address, I pressed "Done". Then the App Store took me back to the first "Verification Required" screen, asking me to enter my password again. After I did so, it took me back to the billing address screen. And on, and on, in an endless loop. No apps worked, not even free ones.

I tried calling Apple for support; the support agent, while very nice, was not super helpful. He told me I had a beta version of iOS - impossible, as I had just purchased a brand-new iPhone 12 from the Apple Store an hour prior.* However, he did mention that the phone was supposed to send me a verification email and ask me to enter a payment instrument. No such email ever arrived, but he did give me an idea.

While he was on hold, I logged into iCloud.com, on my web browser, then clicked "Manage" under the Apple ID tab (it's on the top, to the right of your name). This took me to where I could manage my Apple ID, including add a payment instrument to my account.** Once I did that and clicked "save," I was able to download apps from the App Store. Turns out that the App Store was trying to verify my payment method - regardless of whether the app is free or not, which is kind of dumb in my opinion - and because I had "none," the download failed. But instead of just telling me that in a message, the App Store just restarted the interaction again.

It just so happens that I am a UX designer and I work on digital consumer products, so I have a couple of recommendations for Apple:

1) When new users are setting up a phone, consider verifying that they have a payment instrument on file during setup, after they log into (or set up) a new Apple ID. OR

2) The first time a new user logs into the App Store, consider verifying that they have a payment instrument on file then, and/or asking them to add one.

3) If you do neither of those things, then when users attempt to download a new app in the App Store, if they log in and don't have a PI on file...consider actually telling them that rather than just restarting the process.

4) Consider making the App Store simply not care if you have a PI on file if you're trying to download a free app.

*Just to be sure, I verified this from the General section of my settings - yup, I'm on regular old 14.5

**It also turns out that there is a way to add your PI to your Apple ID on the iPhone, but I had no idea, as I just switched from Android. The agent on the phone was also trying to tell me how, but it appears that he wasn't familiar with the layout of the new iOS 14.5 - I suppose it must have moved. Here's where it is in 14.5: Go into your Settings account, then click on your name (your Apple ID). The third option down is "Payment & Shipping"; select that, and you should be able to add a payment instrument!

iPhone 12

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 8:37 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Stuck in an endless "Verification Required" loop in the App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.