Related Article: What to do if you get an alert that an AirTag, Find My network accessory, or set of AirPods is with you

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My key fob is interfering with my airtag

Has anyone else experienced interference issues with their airtag and a key fob on their key ring?

I have a Mercedes key fob with my airtag. When I go to find my keys, I keep getting the “signal is weak” screen. If I remove my fob from my key ring, set it aside and test again, it works fine.

Posted on May 1, 2021 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 3:21 PM

Yeah I really hope Apple ones up with a solution for future airtags.

10 replies

Jun 4, 2021 1:20 PM in response to vonskie

I had to ultimately get my car’s key fob replaced. Took it to the shop and they tested it, and it was completely dead. This was after I installed a new battery. I’m tempted to put the air tag back on my keys so I can pin point if it was an air tag issue or a key fob issue, but I really don’t want to pay another $87.00 out of pocket for a new fob if it stops working again.

May 2, 2021 9:26 AM in response to C-Lemon

Hi there C-Lemon,

Thanks for joining us in Apple Support Communities! We understand you're seeing an alert that the signal of your AirTag is weak when it's attached to your keyring with your key fob for your car. We're glad you're here, and we can help.

To start, any type of metal has a very high interference potential for your Bluetooth connection. The materials used in your key fob are most likely contributing to this behavior. Have a look at this link to learn more:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

Also, you may find the information in this support article helpful:

Find your keys, wallet, and more with AirTag

Cheers.

Jun 4, 2021 10:19 AM in response to C-Lemon

I have a similar issue, I got the air tags and sometimes the car could not see the fob not detected, would not unlock or start two different fobs and I replaced the batteries of the fobs. Its like its interference, works sometimes and others it does not.

I am gonna stop using the airtags and see if the problem goes away.

Subaru WRX 2019

My key fob is interfering with my airtag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.