Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory

I am running Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop and I am getting continuous low memory warnings forcing me to quit the application. Until recently I worked from a standard Lenovo Laptop and had no issues with these applications. My workflow has not increased by any significant amount. Any help gratefully accepted .

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 2, 2021 3:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 2, 2021 5:38 AM

Use Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor -> View (menu) -> All Processes -> Memory (tab)

and see if there is some other process consuming excessive amounts of memory.

Also, if your boot device is very low on storage free space, you can get that message when macOS can not create page/swap files for your high virtual memory use.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 2, 2021 5:38 AM in response to rostoon

Use Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor -> View (menu) -> All Processes -> Memory (tab)

and see if there is some other process consuming excessive amounts of memory.

Also, if your boot device is very low on storage free space, you can get that message when macOS can not create page/swap files for your high virtual memory use.

May 3, 2021 8:22 AM in response to rostoon

With only 8GB of RAM LightRoom and Photoshop may actually be using large amounts of virtual memory.

But just to double check. Do you have lots of free storage on your system? As I said above, if your boot device is very low on storage, you can get the "Your system is out of application memory" message.

Finally, keep Activity Monitor running. The next time you get the message, look at what Activity Monitor says about memory users. It is more useful if you are having the problem when you look, then at sometime when you are not having the problem.

May 3, 2021 4:47 PM in response to rostoon

Free Storage is how much unused space you have on the hard drive. Here is how to tell what you have. Open Disk Utility, which is located in Applications, then go to Utilities. Then click on the icon to open it and it will display a window with your hard drive shown in the left window. Click the down arrow to open the full display. You can then click on the Macintosh HD icon and the display on the right will show how much space is used and how much is unused by the operating system. The icon on the left just below, called Macintosh HD - Data shows how much other files are stored. I hope this clears this upper you.

When you get to a point where you have stored so much data that very little vacant space remains, it can stop you from being able to download operating system updates. At it's worst, the computer will stop functioning.

Memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.