Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove iCloud downloads from iPhone, but not from iCloud itself

Hello,

I recently started uploading all my photo's en video's to iCloud to create a cloud-based back-up next to using an external hard drive. On my MacBook Pro I can right click a file or folder stored in iCloud and select 'Remove download' (after I downloaded it to view or edit the files locally). This way I free up space on my MacBook and actually only use my iCloud-storage.

After showing a few old photo's to my friends, downloaded from iCloud to my iPhone, I wanted to delete the downloads, just like I do on my MacBook. However, this does not seem possible. The only solutions I have read is to log out from, or stop syncing iCloud, on my iPhone and log back in/start syncing again.

This seems like a bit of a hassle for something that should be easy to do. Or am I missing something that does allow me to remove downloads from my iPhone the way it is possible on my MacBook? If not, is this something that Apple can implement? I am kinda of hesitant accessing iCloud files on my iPhone if I cannot (easily) delete them from local storage.

Looking forward to a reply!

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on May 2, 2021 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2021 8:45 AM

I assume you use iCloud Drive in the Files app to store your photos. Unfortunately, it is not possible to delete downloads and at the same time keep them in iCloud - just as it is on Mac.

I think it's because iOS cleans up these downloads when space needs to be freed up. MacOS probably does not have the same option, therefore it is possible to do manually on Mac.

But no, you have not overlooked anything. It is not possible.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2021 8:45 AM in response to Iwantmoreapples

I assume you use iCloud Drive in the Files app to store your photos. Unfortunately, it is not possible to delete downloads and at the same time keep them in iCloud - just as it is on Mac.

I think it's because iOS cleans up these downloads when space needs to be freed up. MacOS probably does not have the same option, therefore it is possible to do manually on Mac.

But no, you have not overlooked anything. It is not possible.

Remove iCloud downloads from iPhone, but not from iCloud itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.