Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple News+ Free Version

At one time I had an Apple News subscription to the Washington Post, Since I also had a digital subscription directly to the Washington Post I cancelled my Apple News subscription. Now, every time I try to read an article from the Washington Post in Apple News, Apple prompts me to "Renew" my subscription, then prompts me to log in to my digital subscription before I can read the article. This is tedious and annoying.

pipesdma has the same issue. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251699681?login=true but it doesn't seem to have been resolved. Is there a way to make News remember that I have a non-Apple-News subscription?

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on May 2, 2021 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2021 5:52 PM

rodavis wrote:

Is there a way to make News remember that I have a non-Apple-News subscription?

As the article I linked above suggests, Apple appears to rely on its own ecosystem to determine what individual channel subscriptions you have. You happened to set up your digital subscription to Washington Post outside Apple’s ecosystem, which is, of course, just fine.

But to achieve your objective, if I were in your situation, I would download and set up the iPad’s Washington Post app, enter all my subscription data there, and see if the News app picks up that information.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2021 5:52 PM in response to rodavis

rodavis wrote:

Is there a way to make News remember that I have a non-Apple-News subscription?

As the article I linked above suggests, Apple appears to rely on its own ecosystem to determine what individual channel subscriptions you have. You happened to set up your digital subscription to Washington Post outside Apple’s ecosystem, which is, of course, just fine.

But to achieve your objective, if I were in your situation, I would download and set up the iPad’s Washington Post app, enter all my subscription data there, and see if the News app picks up that information.

May 3, 2021 1:12 PM in response to rodavis

Here’s a clarification for you and especially other viewers.

I subscribe to Apple News+. I do not subscribe separately to the Washington Post. This setup allows me to see many, but not all Washington Post stories in Apple News+. The appearance of “Subscription” below indicates a sample story I am not permitted to view.

May 2, 2021 3:50 PM in response to sberman

Thanks but that doesn't really address the issue. Yes, I get prompted "Already a subscriber?", and yes, I can call up the login screen from the publisher and log in, and yes, I can return to Apple News to read the article. As I said, the problem is that I have to go through that cycle of steps every time I click on a story. What I need is for Apple News to remember that I already have a digital subscription. Instead, it seems to be seeing the old expired subscription I once had through Apple News.

May 2, 2021 6:56 PM in response to sberman

Thank you for your second try -- I followed your suggestion and now Apple News only requires me to confirm my subscription once in a while. Huge improvement. It still prompts for confirmation occasionally -- I think because the magazine is still listed in my Apple News subscriptions as expired. But I consider this a fix. Thanks.

Apple News+ Free Version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.