Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X output video is several times the size of input video

Even when I only make a few changes to a video, Final Cut Pro X creates an output file that is several times larger than the input file, even when I make sure that the resolution, frame rate, and output file format are the same. I bought Apple Compressor, but I do not see the option to get the file size down without cutting the resolution.

iMac Pro

Posted on May 2, 2021 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2021 12:09 PM

It’ll have the same data rate, but the media will be another generation of compression so at a low data rate it may deteriorate. The data rate is in the Video inspector. If you want to specify it you have to change it to Custom. Can’t post a screenshot at this time, but it’s there if you’re using H.264 or similar.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2021 12:09 PM in response to DTM81

It’ll have the same data rate, but the media will be another generation of compression so at a low data rate it may deteriorate. The data rate is in the Video inspector. If you want to specify it you have to change it to Custom. Can’t post a screenshot at this time, but it’s there if you’re using H.264 or similar.

May 12, 2021 12:05 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Do you know how to select the data rate in Compressor v4.5.2? I'm having trouble finding instructions that match up to what I see.

So Final Cut Pro has been outputting with a data rate of 10Mbps, while the original file is 1.34Mbps. If I change it to 1.34Mbps, should it still have all the data of the original?

Thank you again.

Final Cut Pro X output video is several times the size of input video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.