Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought a new iMac and tried to use the migration assistant to transfer all my files from my old Mac and I’ve had problems with my new Mac starting up and downloading all of the apps that I previously had. Is there a way to start over?

I bought a new iMac and tried to use the migration assistant to transfer all my files from my old Mac and I’ve had problems with my new Mac starting up and downloading all of the apps that I previously had. Is there a way to start over?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 2, 2021 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 7:11 AM

Well as stated, 32 bit apps will not work. If you have the old Mac, start it up and open About this Mac and then open System Report and then click Applications and wait for it to populate. Then look in the column that will state if they are 32 or 64 bit. Look for apps you are referring to and if they say they are 32 bit that is your answer, they won't work. So they either need to be upgraded or replaced. No there are no work arounds to run 32 bit apps on Big Sur and now you cannot downgrade Big Sur.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 7:11 AM in response to jsawyer99

Well as stated, 32 bit apps will not work. If you have the old Mac, start it up and open About this Mac and then open System Report and then click Applications and wait for it to populate. Then look in the column that will state if they are 32 or 64 bit. Look for apps you are referring to and if they say they are 32 bit that is your answer, they won't work. So they either need to be upgraded or replaced. No there are no work arounds to run 32 bit apps on Big Sur and now you cannot downgrade Big Sur.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.