Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to delete an item on my desktop

There is an image on my desktop that can't be moved to trash. Whenever I attempt to move it to trash, it says, "The item “.Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 9.08.22 PM.png.icloud” can’t be moved to the Trash because it can’t be deleted." I noticed that the image format is .icloud and not .png, but when I try to change it to .png, it says "The operation can’t be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -8072)." Is there anyway to fix this error and move the image to trash?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 2, 2021 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 1:33 PM

Hello carthyy,

It looks like you are unable to move a file to the trash as it's giving you a message that" The item cannot be moved to the Trash because it can't be deleted" and "The operation can't be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -8072)."

Here are some trouble shooing steps that might help:

• If it still doesn't move to the trash, you can boot to recovery and run First Aid in Disk Utility as it "repair errors related to the formatting and directory structure of a Mac disk" How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility. Once complete, restart and try again.

Hope this information helps.

Have a good day.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 1:33 PM in response to carthyy

Hello carthyy,

It looks like you are unable to move a file to the trash as it's giving you a message that" The item cannot be moved to the Trash because it can't be deleted" and "The operation can't be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -8072)."

Here are some trouble shooing steps that might help:

• If it still doesn't move to the trash, you can boot to recovery and run First Aid in Disk Utility as it "repair errors related to the formatting and directory structure of a Mac disk" How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility. Once complete, restart and try again.

Hope this information helps.

Have a good day.

Unable to delete an item on my desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.