Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External display use lid closed unplugged from electric

MacBook Air M1 Chip

I want to use an external monitor and close the lid of my Mac which and that works fine.

However when I need one of the two occupied ports the only option is unplugging the power source and that cuts the connection between the Mac and external monitor when the lid is still closed.

How can I use the external display when the lid is closed and power cord is unplugged?

Thanks Folks!

Posted on May 3, 2021 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 2:02 PM

When you are using your MacBook Air in Clamshell mode with an external display, then you will need to keep the MacBook Air supplied with electrical power.

If you occasionally need the USB-C port for other peripherals and happen to disconnect power then, as you have learned, your MacBook Air will disconnect from the external display.

To avoid the above from happening, it may be a good idea to invest in a HUB that will give you more ports so that you can continue to keep the MacBook Air powered up while in Clamshell mode (Lid Closed).

Axel F.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 2:02 PM in response to borax34

When you are using your MacBook Air in Clamshell mode with an external display, then you will need to keep the MacBook Air supplied with electrical power.

If you occasionally need the USB-C port for other peripherals and happen to disconnect power then, as you have learned, your MacBook Air will disconnect from the external display.

To avoid the above from happening, it may be a good idea to invest in a HUB that will give you more ports so that you can continue to keep the MacBook Air powered up while in Clamshell mode (Lid Closed).

Axel F.

External display use lid closed unplugged from electric

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.