Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone XS camera not working after ios14.5 update

I updated to IOS14.5 and instantly my front and rear camera’s stopped working also my flashlight no longer works. Contacted support and they claim it’s a hardware problem. Which is total nonsense as what are the chances all these things broke at exactly the same time? Also being told because it is out of warranty Apple will charge for a repair. So let me get this straight their software has made my £700 phone worth the same as a Nokia with no camera! And they aren’t willing to take responsibility for that? Shocking is an understatement. Anyone else having this problem?

iPhone XS

Posted on May 3, 2021 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 8:58 AM

A few people have reported this but it is almost certainly either a software gltch or a coincidental hardware failure. It is not surprising that the CAmera and Flashlight fail at the same time as they are interlinked.

First see this

If the camera or flash on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn't working

then 

37 replies

May 3, 2021 12:23 PM in response to LD150

Thank you but lots have reported it, with the same model phone as me. It’s all over the internet. Therefore it’s highly unlikely it is a hardware problem. Also my front and rear camera wouldn’t fail at exactly the same time? I have already done a forced reset and it made no difference. I don’t really want to do a factory reset as there is no guarantee that will do anything and it will involve a lot of effort. It is clearly a software glitch and it’s outrageous Apple are not accepting it is linked to the update.

May 3, 2021 8:59 AM in response to LD150

Sorry hut he wrong button!

try a forced restart

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/force-restart-iphone-iph8903c3ee6/ios

If that does not help the  next procedure would be to backup then restore your device to factory, and setup the device without restoring a backup, to see if the issue is replicated. 

Then restore the backup. If you need to send the phone in for repair then backing up and restoring to factory would be needed anyway.

Here is a guide for those steps

Backup and restore

(1)How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – Apple Support

Remove SIM PIN if you have set one

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Set up as new from the Hello Screen without restoring backup. Test if the problem still exists

(3) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

If that fails arrange a repair

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service

Jul 8, 2021 1:44 PM in response to ruald17

You wife’s broken camera will not be fixed by software updates.

You should arrange a repair

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service

Anything other than Screen or Battery may be a replacement phone and the price is in the article, depending on your warranty or AppleCare+ status.

You can see additional service information within the following article: 

Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service - Apple Support

May 29, 2021 10:45 AM in response to WuShang

Hi yes the 14.6 update has fixed my camera front and back and flashlight. Apple and various people on these forums always push that it is a hardware problem and you must go to Apple and pay to have it fixed. I was told this was a hardware problem many times by Apple until I spoke to the most senior advisor who then spoke to an engineer when I said I was from the British press. And guess what! Then they admitted it was infact a problem with the update……

Jul 8, 2021 12:43 PM in response to EveLong100

My wifes I phone XS has exactly the same problem.Weve reset and factory reset the device to no avail and logged onto Apple to get a fix. To date a month since this happened no fix has been forthcoming. Ive only recently bought an Apple macbook air and am concerned that a company as big as Apple can send out software updates and we can end up with devices unfit for purpose. Fortunately I have a Samsung mobile phone that doesnt suffer the issues my wifes i phone has. It shouldnt be beyond Apples ability to fix this via a software bug fix. As so many i phone users have this issue its clearly something they ought to be able to fix. Not impressed with Apple at all at this time, it doesnt inspire confidence in their products.

IPhone XS camera not working after ios14.5 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.