Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music app stops playing on M1 Mac

Macbook Air (M1) with Big Sur 11.3 (20E232) and Music 1.1.4.110

I created a new Music Library when I got the new computer by adding files that were already in Apple lossless format (files I'd previously converted from CDs). If I play them through the computer's speakers, it works just fine.

If I try to play them via any Airplay device (e.g., to a fully up-to-date Homepod, or to an old Airport Express), Music stops playing after after a few songs. If I double-click on the track, it starts playing again.

In contrast, if I play music from my iPhone to the same Homepod or Airport Express, it works just fine. The files on the phone were synced from the files on the Mac.

I've deleted all music preferences; rebooted, trashed and re-recreated the music library; rebooted the Homepods; rebooted the Airport Express; rebooted the Mac; but the problem persists. I've found other posts with similar issues (Airplay seems to be the common factor), but the only replies seem to be "update software". The software is fully up to date. Please note, this does not involve Apple Music or any other streaming service. It's simply trying to play files that are on my Mac via Airplay.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on May 3, 2021 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2021 7:08 AM

Same thing here. Begin with the Big Sur update. Music app is so buggy. Other bad behaviour:

• Cannot access apple music À écouter and Parcourir (my system is in French) if I do not click on the menu at the opening of the app.
  • This morning I have no pictures in Apple music
  • When the music stops playing the last tune played is played twice
  • The music do not start again if I press play. I have to click on the progress bar to put the cursor at 3 sec to have the music back
  • Volume control lost when playing on Apple TV. I have to change the AirPlay destination to an Airport and connect back to the apple TV to get the volume control back.

This is a basic Apple app that should work perfectly. This is a shame.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2021 7:08 AM in response to Billy Apple

Same thing here. Begin with the Big Sur update. Music app is so buggy. Other bad behaviour:

• Cannot access apple music À écouter and Parcourir (my system is in French) if I do not click on the menu at the opening of the app.
  • This morning I have no pictures in Apple music
  • When the music stops playing the last tune played is played twice
  • The music do not start again if I press play. I have to click on the progress bar to put the cursor at 3 sec to have the music back
  • Volume control lost when playing on Apple TV. I have to change the AirPlay destination to an Airport and connect back to the apple TV to get the volume control back.

This is a basic Apple app that should work perfectly. This is a shame.

Music app stops playing on M1 Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.