Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Allow Apps to track feature in 14.5

Does the new allow apps to track feature in 14.5 actually do anything? By default it is off. So I turned it on expecting to have apps start asking me for permission to track me. Nothing happened even with Facebook who have created such a stink over it. I went as far as signing out of FB, deleting the apps from both my iPad and iPhone , reinstalling them and signing in again. Still it didn’t prompt me to give it permission to track me.

What am I missing?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on May 3, 2021 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 9:57 AM

Dcjsimons01 wrote:

Does the new allow apps to track feature in 14.5 actually do anything? By default it is off. So I turned it on expecting to have apps start asking me for permission to track me. Nothing happened even with Facebook who have created such a stink over it. I went as far as signing out of FB, deleting the apps from both my iPad and iPhone , reinstalling them and signing in again. Still it didn’t prompt me to give it permission to track me.
What am I missing?

If an app asks to track your activity - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 9:57 AM in response to Dcjsimons01

Dcjsimons01 wrote:

What am I missing?

If an app asks to track your activity - Apple Support

May 4, 2021 3:08 AM in response to razmee209

I understand how it is claimed it works. My query, and from many others, is whether it is actually doing what it claims. I will be running with tracking disabled. But just to see what it does I turned it on. I have had no apps asking me to be able to track. Not even Facebook. That is despite signing out on all Apple devices, deleting apps, reinstalling, signing in again etc. I.e doing everything I can for it to think the app is new.

For all the world it looks like either this feature isn’t working as designed, some previous action/setting in my devices means it is always off even if it says it is on, or this cross app tracking isn’t actually being used by apps to the extent that we believe.

Allow Apps to track feature in 14.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.