Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I save changes made with Photo's new Markup tool, the whole image is shifted further along in the green spectrum.

Has anyone else experienced this?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 3, 2021 9:22 AM

15 replies

May 3, 2021 10:25 AM in response to jrsomia

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread.

If the problem persists in the new library log into another vanilla admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and test to see if the problem persists. This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide.

Lastly, if the problem is still there boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test there to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

This can tell us if there's any 3rd party software that is contributing to the problem.

May 3, 2021 12:58 PM in response to Old Toad

Hello, Old Toad:

OK - I created a new library and a new album in it, of photos that a friend has sent me this year. I then did to four of them what I have done with photos from my main library, which was to duplicate each one and then add one or two touches in each of the duplicates and saved the changes, and then clicked "Done" -- and there was no green shift in any of them.

What if anything does this tell me about the library of photos that I had been using? I use a Fuji E550 for about half of my photos, and a Canon G15 for about half. I <have> noticed that many, if not most, of the Canon photos come in more green in them than in the ones I take with the Fuji (I usually take the same scene with both cameras because there are other differences in how they render the same scene).

jrsomia

May 4, 2021 9:10 AM in response to jrsomia

To enable the iCloud Library in Photos' iCloud preference pane you must first enable System Photo Library in Photos' General preference pane.

It sounds like you may have more than one library. Launch Photos with the Option key held down and see what libraries are listed in the Choose Library window and which one is designated the System Photo Library.

May 3, 2021 2:12 PM in response to Old Toad

O.T. (hope you don't mind the abbrev.),

I work with JPEGs. I generally have not enabled iCloud, but I'll have to check on how I can verify that, to be on the safe side. Out of curiosity, what is it that re-opening the main library with the Option and Command keys pressed will repair?

jrlmia

p.s. : By the way, I have several other issues with Big Sur since I upgraded to it earlier this year -- do you have any idea when Apple might be bringing out an update on Big Sur?

May 3, 2021 4:29 PM in response to Old Toad

Dear O.T.,

Now I am beginning to feel the kinds of frustration that I felt all the time when I was using a PC, way back when. I was able to find the General vs. ICloud pane that you described, but when I clicked on the iCloud side, it was nothing like what is shown above. Nor have I run across a choice box to select "Store originals of photos in this device". -or are these signs that I have indeed not linked with iCloud in any way on my iMac? I am also seeing the System Library to be in the Photos folder in Finder -- is this another clue? And if I do activate Photo Library First Aid, on what basis would I choose Rebuild Thumbnails, vs. Repair Database, vs. Rebuild Database?

If I have Time Machine active all the time, then can I assume that the Library is also always being backed up, or that all I have to do before I start any repairs is to tell Time Machine to "Back up now"?

May 3, 2021 4:49 PM in response to jrsomia

The option to store only optimized versions is located in Photos iCloud preference pane.

If you have that checked then to get the full sized version down you need to try to edit the photo and that will trigger a download.

If you want to convert your library to one where there's no optimization of Mac storage you need to do the following (which will take some time depending on the size of the library): create a new library and designate it the System Photo Library and set it up for iCloud Library but WITHOUT "Optimized Mac Storage".

Make sure you have enough free space on the volume where the new library is located to hold the entire library full sized.

Leave the Mac on with Photos open and in the background until the download is finished. Once finished and you check the library for completeness you can delete the old PHotos library.

May 3, 2021 6:02 PM in response to Old Toad

More confusing at every turn, now. When I go into Photos Preferences and find that pane with the General and iCloud choice panels, and I click on the iCloud, I get this message: "iCloud features for Photos are only available in the System Photo Library" -- and there is nothing there about ICloud or what to do with photos that are imported.

I had a very bad feeling about iCloud when I first heard about it, and saw how hard Apple was "pushing" it, and just had an instinctive reaction that I didn't want to start having anything to do with it. And now I am pretty certain that I don't. As far as I can see, I have no need for it. All I want to know now is how to make sure that my iMac is in no way engaged with it, and how to disengage it if it is. I see it in Finder, but I don't see any other evidence that it is active.

I have sworn by Macs since I got my first one 12-13 years ago, and having to live with some of Apple's great plans was just part of the cost of having them.

May 4, 2021 9:00 AM in response to jrsomia

Well, OT, I apologize for venting one of my pet peeves in my last post, but it really was getting frustrating.

With a calmer mindset this morning, when I right-clicked the iCloud portion on the sidebar of Finder, I found nothing other than the notation that it was a folder with 48 <kb> of content. That's it, nada más. And, when I did the same with the Photos library folder in the Pictures folder, I saw that there are something like 27-28 <gigs> of content there. Those figures are telling me that my iMac is not engaged with iCloud -- do you think that that is a valid reading?

If so, might running First Aid on that Library still do some good?

jrsomia

May 4, 2021 9:23 AM in response to jrsomia

Well, OT, now I have a real problem on my hands. I closed Photos with the test library in it, and then re-started it while holding the Option key down, and it opened with the Test Library, but with no option of switching to the original Library. I then closed and opened Photos again and right clicked on the ~27 gig Photos Library in the Pictures folder of Finder and said to open it with Photos. A pop-up then came up, asking me if I wanted to switch from 2Photoslibrary, which was the Test Library, and I clicked "Switch". What came up was not the main library, but the Test Library. I tried again, with the same result.

How do I get Photos to open up with the original library?

jrsomia

May 4, 2021 12:12 PM in response to Old Toad

Yep - that did it. When I tried right-clicking on the file and telling it to "Open with" Photos, it didn't do it, and I didn't think about the obvious alternative. I guess that's why you're a 10, and I am -at best- a 1.

Just to see if I could re-create the original problem, I went back into the images in question and duplicated two of them as they were before using Markup on them, and then did some similar work on them, saved the changes, and then clicked Done -- and there was NOT the noticeable green-shift as had happened before. Any idea as to what that's about?

If that keeps up and I don't run into that problem again, then I am taking it that there is no particular reason for me to repair the base file? In any case, thanks for your time and patience.

jrsomia

When I save changes made with Photo's new Markup tool, the whole image is shifted further along in the green spectrum.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.