Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Top Sites went from nine to six.

Last week Safari displayed nine websites in its Top Sites. Since I upgraded to Safari 14.1 (16611.1.21.161.3), Safari is showing only six websites in its Top Sites. I had got used to nine.

Is there any way of resetting Safari to show nine Top Sites?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 3, 2021 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 1:14 PM

Oops. I was relying on memory when I wrote my question. I did not have my Start Page open as I wrote it. What I see now are eight Top Sites--two rows of four sites each. I know that last week I had three rows of Top Sites, and I seem to recall I had four sites in each row. That would have been a total of twelve Top Sites. Now I have only eight. Ether way, I do not have as many Top Sites as I used to. Does Safari now have a setting for the number of Top Sites shown on the Start Page?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 1:14 PM in response to R_55a

Oops. I was relying on memory when I wrote my question. I did not have my Start Page open as I wrote it. What I see now are eight Top Sites--two rows of four sites each. I know that last week I had three rows of Top Sites, and I seem to recall I had four sites in each row. That would have been a total of twelve Top Sites. Now I have only eight. Ether way, I do not have as many Top Sites as I used to. Does Safari now have a setting for the number of Top Sites shown on the Start Page?

Jun 3, 2021 2:50 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

I had around 17 or so thumbnails showing. There were four rows of four thumbnails with one thumbnail on its own on a fifth line. I've stopped using one of the websites that was on the top line so I removed that one this morning. This new Top Sites feature reorganised the thumbnails and stopped showing the fourth line of thumbnails so now I'm stuck with having 12 thumbnails shown. Clicking on show more/less just switches between showing 8 and 12 thumbnails.

The issue here, and the one that's really annoying me, is that all my banking shortcuts were on that bottom line so this new version of Top Sites is, to me, broken and in need of an urgent fix. It's not fit for purpose. How can I get ALL of my top sites to be displayed? Is there a config file that I can manually edit to fix this?

What I want is a configurable 'speed dial' feature for Safari, ideally something where I can create folders to contain related sites. The old Top Sites was nearly there, this new version is next to useless. It wouldn't be too bad if there was a decent 3rd party extension out there but I've not been able to find one.

Please, can we have the old Top Sites back or have this one removed and replaced with a decent speed dial extension.

Safari Top Sites went from nine to six.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.