Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac Mail app won't open view window.

The other day the viewer windows (all columns) for the Mac Mail app disappeared and I have not found a way to bring them back. I get different behavior when I try to open Mail from the dock icon or when I try to open it from the Applications folder. The app shows that it quits and opens and shows a badge with new mail in the dock icon. But that's all.

If I open from Applications, I get a menu bar and dropdown lists from the menu items. For instance, I can see Mail and under it Preferences shows up in a list. When I click Preferences, no window opens. And, the menu bar doesn't persist. And, nothing I click makes a window for viewing my inbox contents or other mailbox contents visible. I'm in macOS 11.0.1 on an iMac from late 2015.

I can see my recently read and unread mail from my other devices, so I can sort of manage recent stuff. But I don't have access to mailboxes where I've archived and categorized past emails. I'd like to have the Mail on my iMac back.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.0

Posted on May 3, 2021 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2021 12:20 PM

Hey there dianapeluce,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with the Mail app on your iMac, and we'd be happy to help.

To get started, when the issue occurs, have you tried forcing the app to quit and reopening the app? How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support

If so, does this issue persist after restarting your iMac, or does that seem to help with the issue, even if it's just temporary? Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac - Apple Support

Lastly, we do see that there is an macOS update available for your iMac, and to help troubleshoot the issue further, we would recommend updating to the latest macOS version which may help with the issue you're seeing.

For help with updating, check out this link here: How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep us updated on the results.

Cheers!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2021 12:20 PM in response to dianapeluce

Hey there dianapeluce,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with the Mail app on your iMac, and we'd be happy to help.

To get started, when the issue occurs, have you tried forcing the app to quit and reopening the app? How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support

If so, does this issue persist after restarting your iMac, or does that seem to help with the issue, even if it's just temporary? Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac - Apple Support

Lastly, we do see that there is an macOS update available for your iMac, and to help troubleshoot the issue further, we would recommend updating to the latest macOS version which may help with the issue you're seeing.

For help with updating, check out this link here: How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep us updated on the results.

Cheers!

mac Mail app won't open view window.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.