Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro will no longer recognize external microphone

My MacBook Pro no longer recognizes my external microphone.

I have been using this microphone (USB) regularly for over 6 months, but today, I my Mac no longer responds when I plug it in.

I tried using it in Garageband, but the application only used the built-in microphone. I also looked under Sound in System Preferences as well as Audio MIDI Setup, but the microhpone doesn't even appear. I don't know why it suddenly won't work when I've used it without issue so many times before.

I have tried restarting the app, restarting my computer, and updating it to the latest macOS software, but the issue still persists.

Can you help me?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 3, 2021 9:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 9:34 PM

Hi,

Resetting NVRAM could solve sound related issues.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, contact Apple Support to tell them about the circumstance you face with.

Official Apple Support

Or take your MacBook Pro with mic to Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined it.

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 9:34 PM in response to mikellemm

Hi,

Resetting NVRAM could solve sound related issues.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, contact Apple Support to tell them about the circumstance you face with.

Official Apple Support

Or take your MacBook Pro with mic to Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined it.

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

MacBook Pro will no longer recognize external microphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.