Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem updating Apple Watch Series 3 to 7.4

I updated my iPhone to the last software version (iOS 14.5) and now I have to pair my Apple Watch Series 3.

My watch has been initialized so when I start the process, my iPhone asks me to update it to the latest 7.4 software version.

I start the download and It seems to work perfectly, but when the software is extracted for installation, the installation stops and this message appears: “Unable to check for update - Not connected to the internet error”.

I’ve tried several times and on different devices (iPhone X and XS Max), even hard resetting iPhone and iWatch, but it doesn’t work.

Any suggestions?

It seems to be a software problem (probably due to iOS 14.5) because if I try to pair it to an iPhone with iOS 14.4, the pairing process works.

Please help Because now I have an unusable watch!

Apple Watch

Posted on May 4, 2021 4:17 AM

Similar questions

20 replies

May 7, 2021 5:59 AM in response to Fabbri_

OK. Perhaps this is happening because your current version 6.2.8 is quite old. Sounds like it really needs some update first, before it can even think of pairing up with your iPhone...and then hits some obscure network connectivity problem. Just double-checking, they are both connected to regular Wi-Fi and you are signed in with your Apple ID.

Really tricky problem, I agree. Have you tried contacting Apple Support yet?

Get Support

You could also send feedback right there on the documentation page:

Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

• select Helpful=No and type in details of the issue.

May 7, 2021 4:22 AM in response to Fabbri_

Ah but that is already much better situation - you certainly have enough free storage for the update. Must be the cellular S3 then :)

If that other iPhone worked, couldn't you update the watchOS using that connection? It only needs to be done once. 7.4.1 is the current release.

They you said you have already tried hard reset of the iPhone ? Just asking again because that usually clears this obscure "unable to check for update" error. If the problem still persists, maybe try that once more anyway..., and also read thru the other suggestions in that thread:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/660611

May 6, 2021 1:45 AM in response to better_half

I can't see how much free space there is on the Apple Watch since it's like it was never paired.

And if I don't upgrade, the iPhone won't let me pair it.

Just to get as much free space as possible I have initialized the Apple Watch several times but it doesn't work.

I've tried them all.

Here are (attached) the screenshots I see when I open the Watch app on the iPhone.

May 7, 2021 1:01 AM in response to better_half

I've tried to pair it with an iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 14.3 and it works.

With this iPhone version of iOS (14.3) it's possible to pair the watch without updating it to 7.4 .

I've tried even to update the iWatch software directly by the watch itself and not by the iPhone but the message "Unable to check for upadate - An error occurred while checking for a software update" appears.

I'm getting mad.

May 6, 2021 11:03 AM in response to better_half

No, it’s not like this.

The real problem is that when I start pairing the iwatch, the update starts immediately and at the end of the download the initial error message appears (“Unable to check for update - Not connected to the internet error”.).

There’s no way to pair the watch to the iPhone before updating. So it is unusable.

And yes it’s connected to iCloud.

May 7, 2021 5:29 AM in response to better_half

Even pairing with iPhone 7 Plus (that has iOS 14.3) I can't update my Apple Watch (because iPhone asks me to update to 14.5.1).

And yes I tried hard reset over and over again.

I've noticed that the problem is really with the operating system version and doesn't depend on the model of the iPhone.

Another difference between iOS 14.3 and 14.5.1 is that the former gives me the possibility to pair the Apple Watch even without updating (so I can choose to do it in a second moment) while the latter ask immediately to do the update and it doesn't let me the possibility of pairing.

I think that Apple has to fix this problem as soon as possible because I do not have any other ideas.

Problem updating Apple Watch Series 3 to 7.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.