Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has my Macbook Pro trackpad become harder to use?

For the last two days, my 2015 Macbook Pro trackpad has been getting harder to press at the bottom; it also makes a clicking noise in that spot when pressed. Since keyboards sometimes do that if food or dust gets into them, I thought I just had to find out how to clean under the trackpad. However, when I looked it up, the article I got said I probably need a new battery. Is there any other reason the trackpad would be doing this? I'd much prefer to clean it than order a new battery. Thanks so much for any advice out there!

Posted on May 4, 2021 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 3:26 PM

Hi again, HW Tech: I solved the problem! Since you mentioned battery swelling, I looked on the internet to find out how to know if the battery was swelling even if it wasn't detectable and read "Normal." It doesn't look like it's even slightly swollen--the Macbook lies quite flat on a flat surface without wobbling--but there was a 2008 post from someone who had the same problem I did and solved it by folding a piece of copy paper and running it around and inside the edge of the trackpad, dislodging a bit of debris that was jamming the trackpad.

I found paper too soft, so I got a white 3x5 card. When I ran it inside the edge, it went smoothly on three sides but seemed to be blocked on the bottom, so I pushed harder and a few tiny speck of white came up. I went as far as I could with the 3x5, then got a very fine needle and pried out a little more. Finally, I sprayed the edges of the 3x5 with W-D40, enough to saturate the card. Then I wiped the excess off, performed the previous maneuver with the W-D40 card, and then went around the edges again with a clean, dry card. The trackpad now functions perfectly again.

I was a little apprehensive about introducing WD-40 into the picture, but so far (two hours of steady typing), there doesn't seem to be any damage to the battery. The key is probably to make sure the card is impregnated but not wet--just enough to leave a minute trace of WD-40 clinging to the edges but not enough to wet the battery!

Thanks again for your help.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2021 3:26 PM in response to Turtlewiz

Hi again, HW Tech: I solved the problem! Since you mentioned battery swelling, I looked on the internet to find out how to know if the battery was swelling even if it wasn't detectable and read "Normal." It doesn't look like it's even slightly swollen--the Macbook lies quite flat on a flat surface without wobbling--but there was a 2008 post from someone who had the same problem I did and solved it by folding a piece of copy paper and running it around and inside the edge of the trackpad, dislodging a bit of debris that was jamming the trackpad.

I found paper too soft, so I got a white 3x5 card. When I ran it inside the edge, it went smoothly on three sides but seemed to be blocked on the bottom, so I pushed harder and a few tiny speck of white came up. I went as far as I could with the 3x5, then got a very fine needle and pried out a little more. Finally, I sprayed the edges of the 3x5 with W-D40, enough to saturate the card. Then I wiped the excess off, performed the previous maneuver with the W-D40 card, and then went around the edges again with a clean, dry card. The trackpad now functions perfectly again.

I was a little apprehensive about introducing WD-40 into the picture, but so far (two hours of steady typing), there doesn't seem to be any damage to the battery. The key is probably to make sure the card is impregnated but not wet--just enough to leave a minute trace of WD-40 clinging to the edges but not enough to wet the battery!

Thanks again for your help.

May 5, 2021 2:35 PM in response to MoonJ.

MoonJ: The article doesn't address my problem: Why is the trackpad harder to press and why does it make a clicking sound when I press down on it? And is there something I can do about it? Does it just need cleaning inside?

Note that the pointer is working normally and the battery indicator says "Normal." The only problem is the stickiness and clicking, and that's only in the bottom part of the trackpad. Thanks so much for any suggestions!

May 6, 2021 7:32 PM in response to Turtlewiz

I have two 2014 models I'm working on with that issue. I don't see any noticeable sign of the battery swelling, however, since these batteries cannot be removed (at least not easily or without damaging it) there is no way to be certain if the other hidden side of the battery may be slightly swollen. I'm also considering something has gotten beneath the Trackpad, but you cannot remove the Trackpad to check without removing & possibly destroying the battery.

I've also seen some of these Trackpads just become a bit weak on one side/corner where they get used a lot.

The 2015 laptop is still supported by Apple so you can have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate.

Why has my Macbook Pro trackpad become harder to use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.