Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am attempting to update my iPad from 5.1.1 to the current software.

My iPad gives me an error message, "You are no longer connected to the internet" when I attempt to install the update. How can I download and install the latest software?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on May 4, 2021 8:22 PM

13 replies

May 7, 2021 10:13 AM in response to ClarenceMallett

Hi, try downloading it from iTunes.

Using iTunes, you can update software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.

1. Connect your device to your computer. ... 
  2. In the iTunes app on your PC, click the Device button near the top left of the iTunes window.
  3. Click Summary.
  4. Click Check for Update.
  5. To install an available update, click Update.

This will be faster and will solve your problem! Let me know if it works.

May 5, 2021 1:31 PM in response to ClarenceMallett

Your iPad is too old to upgrade/update to any current iOS/iPadOS versions.

Your 2011 iPad 2 is now a 10-year old device.

Sorry.

If you need/want an iPad with an up to date iPadOS with access to current, updated apps, then you really need to seriously consider a new iPad model OR a much, MUCH “newer” and less expensive, refurbished or used iPad models, from better known, trusted Apple product/device retailers/resellers, locally of from on the Web/Internet, capable of running the latest iPadOS versions.

There are PLENTY of much newer, older iPad models that can run the latest, current versions of iPadOS.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

May 5, 2021 8:44 PM in response to ClarenceMallett

No it does not, but seeing this iPad is very old and has not been supported for the almost past 5-years, it is NOT really worth it for you to take time and efforts to update such an old device.

Apple ended support for all 8-10-year old iOS devices nearly 5 years, ago, in 2016.

Third party app developers abandoned and stopped supporting these 8-10-year old iOS devices nearly 3 years, ago, in 2018.

There are, virtually, NO MORE third party apps available from the iOS App Store, any longer, for your 10-year iPad 2.

Older version, third party compatible apps for such old devices are few and far between, now, in 2021.

In my opinions, it is just not worth spending anymore time with attempting to update a 10-year old device that cannit go any farther than iOS 9.3.5 and all support has been dropped for it.

Your call.

May 7, 2021 11:18 AM in response to ClarenceMallett

Not much.

You'll find that many Web-based apps, that need a connection to the Intenet, may no longer work.

Like streaming video apps, games, social media apps, etc..

So, no YouTube app, No FaceBook app and a whole large bunch of other popular apps.

You will need to use a Web browser to actually access these specific Websites, for which the app no longer works, instead, which will br much slower to use.

Also, mentioning Web browsers, if you insist on using this old iPad, I would STOP using that that well over 4-year old default iOS Safari Web browser, as it is too old, not secure and not safe or to be trusted to use to access the Internet, any longer.

There are virtually NO MORE third party Web browsers left for 8-10 year old iPads!

Available and more popular third party Web browser choices are pretty much GONE, now.

If you must use these old iPad models, here is what is left for still fairly updated Web browsers for your iOS 9 device.

Pickins’ are slim, now!

ALook Web browser ( A fairly new Web browser primarily designed for old iOS device versions, but is still available to newer iOS/iPadOS devices, as well )

Dolphin Web browser

Maxthon Web browser

TOR private browser

TOR + VPN private browser

Turbo VPN private browser

This is pretty much it for iOS 9/10 compatible, up to date, third party Web browsers today.

You are going to find many apps that will no longer function on iOS9, as well as on iOS 10, today.

Sorry & Good Luck to You!

I am attempting to update my iPad from 5.1.1 to the current software.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.