Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permanently deleted my file

Hello ! after updating my OS as Big Sur, I was working with external storage (Pen Drive) in an excel file suddenly i got access permission which i denied as below attatched info in my screen and my file has been deleted permanently i can not find my file in trash or anywhere.

that file is very important for me. kindly guide me how can i find it.

Posted on May 5, 2021 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2021 7:35 AM

Close all open programs. See if the file is visible in the Finder. Make sure your Finder menu -> Preferences -> has External Disks checked. If the HP drive does not show on the desktop, use Disk Utility in Applications -> Utilities to make sure it is mounted.

If Disk Utility does not see the HP device, it is possible that it is underpowered. A USB-C based machine will need a USB-C PD Passthrough port hub with at least 100W to reliably see external storage. A USB 3.0 or earlier device will need a wall powered USB-hub to reliably see external devices.

Finally, some USB drives are read only, because they were formatted NTFS, or have built write-protect tab on them. NTFS drives can be read with https://www.easyuefi.com/ntfs-for-mac/ntfs-for-mac.html

If you can mount the drive, select the file in the drive, and select Edit menu and copy, and close the window for the drive and edit menu and select paste. This will copy the file onto your desktop. Once there, you should be able to read it as long as it was written with the same or older version of Excel.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2021 7:35 AM in response to birendrafromdhanbadbokaro

Close all open programs. See if the file is visible in the Finder. Make sure your Finder menu -> Preferences -> has External Disks checked. If the HP drive does not show on the desktop, use Disk Utility in Applications -> Utilities to make sure it is mounted.

If Disk Utility does not see the HP device, it is possible that it is underpowered. A USB-C based machine will need a USB-C PD Passthrough port hub with at least 100W to reliably see external storage. A USB 3.0 or earlier device will need a wall powered USB-hub to reliably see external devices.

Finally, some USB drives are read only, because they were formatted NTFS, or have built write-protect tab on them. NTFS drives can be read with https://www.easyuefi.com/ntfs-for-mac/ntfs-for-mac.html

If you can mount the drive, select the file in the drive, and select Edit menu and copy, and close the window for the drive and edit menu and select paste. This will copy the file onto your desktop. Once there, you should be able to read it as long as it was written with the same or older version of Excel.

Permanently deleted my file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.