Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers Formula Not Updating to Include Added Rows

I am trying to transition from the dark side but finding some simple things frustrating. In doing a simple bank account register (previous balance - withdrawal + deposit = new balance), I am able to enter the formula ok and paste it down the column. The problem develops when I add (or delete) a row. The formula does not update and adjust to the new row in the column. I have tried the suggested blank row and add the new row above the blank row but the balance below the new row skips over the added row so I am not getting correct balance. The added row is not picking up the formula and it has to be dragged down. Am I missing something? Or is there no easy way to to do it?

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 5, 2021 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2021 7:48 AM

Hi M4020,

See if this works for you.

E2 is an entered value.

Formula in E3: E2−C3+D3 and fill down.

Click on any cell in the last row and press the return key. The formula is carried down.

Enter details in the new bottom row:

Woo hoo! The formula is indeed carried down 😊.

Regards,

Ian.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2021 7:48 AM in response to M4020

Hi M4020,

See if this works for you.

E2 is an entered value.

Formula in E3: E2−C3+D3 and fill down.

Click on any cell in the last row and press the return key. The formula is carried down.

Enter details in the new bottom row:

Woo hoo! The formula is indeed carried down 😊.

Regards,

Ian.

May 5, 2021 7:43 AM in response to M4020

It should copy down to the new row automatically if the same formula is being used in the cells above (other than the cell references changing to fit each row).

Your problem description sounds simple enough but can you post a screenshot that shows your table and your formula? I don't know what you are missing or if it is a bug or glitch with this particular table/document. Have you tried the same in a new document, just as a test?

May 5, 2021 9:14 AM in response to Yellowbox

Thanks, Ian. I think the problem I am having is when I insert or delete a row--it brakes the chain of the formula. As long as I do it the way you indicated (adding a row by pressing return) it continues the formula into the added row. So I will use this method and not use insert. Thanks again. M4020

May 5, 2021 9:49 AM in response to M4020

Are you adding/deleting rows in the middle of the table, not at the bottom? Deleting a row often deletes cells that were being used in a formula, resulting in reference errors and error triangles. Adding a row in the middle can disrupt the "pattern" of the formulas in the column, as you noticed.

Any method of adding a row at the bottom of the table should work properly. Hitting Enter, dragging down on the bar below the row numbers, using Insert, etc. They should all work the same.

Numbers Formula Not Updating to Include Added Rows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.