Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which separator is needed for entering multiple dollar amounts in one currency cell?

Hello All,

I've added more than one total dollar amount into one currency cell (ie. $50, $75) After the additional dollar amount is added, the cell returns to the "Automatic," data format and will not count towards the total SUM of the formula.

(Please see image below.) You can see the total is incorrect and the format of the cell is broken.

What separator is necessary to allow for more than one number in a single currency cell in order to keep the cell in the currency format for SUM formula.

(And please don't ask "Why do you want two numbers in a single cell." I just do👍🏻)

And yes, the SUM total cell has all the number cells attached to the formula.

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 6:16 PM

If you want the cell to have a numeric value in it, you'll have to stop putting two separate values in it. $100 $100 is not a number, it is text. There is no "separator" that will change that.

If you want it to look like you showed in your screenshot but have it actually work, put Bike and Car in separate rows like you did the other ones and remove the horizontal gridline between the rows. I don't know why you would want to have it look this way but you said don't ask so I won't.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2023 6:16 PM in response to SeanStussy

If you want the cell to have a numeric value in it, you'll have to stop putting two separate values in it. $100 $100 is not a number, it is text. There is no "separator" that will change that.

If you want it to look like you showed in your screenshot but have it actually work, put Bike and Car in separate rows like you did the other ones and remove the horizontal gridline between the rows. I don't know why you would want to have it look this way but you said don't ask so I won't.

Which separator is needed for entering multiple dollar amounts in one currency cell?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.