Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off cell automatic formatting

I'm trying to add data in a row every day as 'currency' - but regardless of me trying to pre-format future rows also as 'currency', numbers insists on reverting those cells back to 'automatic'.

This means that every time I enter new data, I have to cut and paste the format every time to that row.

Any ideas on how to turn off this 'automatic' feature?

Mac mini, macOS 11.3

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 3:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 4:12 AM

• If you have formatted a cell as currency and insert a new row below it, the cell in the new row should get the same format.
  • If you have formatted a cell as currency, it should stay that way unless you type something into the cell that is not currency. If you type in something that is not currency it will change the format to automatic.
  • If you have data in a cell that is not currency and try to format the cell as currency, the currency format won't "stick". Same thing with any other format if the data in the cell does not match the format.

That's how it is supposed to work.. If it is not, it could be something you are doing or not doing without realizing it or maybe it is some quirk. Perhaps a screenshot of your table and a step by step rundown of exactly what you are doing would be helpful.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2021 4:12 AM in response to galleywoodman

• If you have formatted a cell as currency and insert a new row below it, the cell in the new row should get the same format.
  • If you have formatted a cell as currency, it should stay that way unless you type something into the cell that is not currency. If you type in something that is not currency it will change the format to automatic.
  • If you have data in a cell that is not currency and try to format the cell as currency, the currency format won't "stick". Same thing with any other format if the data in the cell does not match the format.

That's how it is supposed to work.. If it is not, it could be something you are doing or not doing without realizing it or maybe it is some quirk. Perhaps a screenshot of your table and a step by step rundown of exactly what you are doing would be helpful.

Turn off cell automatic formatting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.