Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple leather iPhone case state after only 6 months of use

The below photo is of my blue iPhone 12 leather case. It has had just 6 months of completely normal use. I believe it is defective and should not lose it colour like this.

I have spoken to Apple customer care, who have looked at the same photo. They told me this is “normal” and just wear and tear. The rep and his supervisor both stated is expected to look like this, and because it is just cosmetic and still ‘works’ it is not covered by any warranty, so can not assist me.

Is this correct?

Posted on May 5, 2021 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2021 9:42 AM

Again, with all due respect, I don’t think this is correct. UK consumer law does not state that a product must only complete its primary function. It also states that a product must be of sufficient quality, which this clearly isn’t.

If you bought a brand new car and the paint fell off, or changed colour, would you accept the car company saying ‘you can still drive it, so there is no problem. Bye’…?

It is unusual for leather products to do this. So if this is normal and expected behaviour, Apple should clearly state this in their adverts/listings.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2021 9:42 AM in response to Mr Leo Sir

Again, with all due respect, I don’t think this is correct. UK consumer law does not state that a product must only complete its primary function. It also states that a product must be of sufficient quality, which this clearly isn’t.

If you bought a brand new car and the paint fell off, or changed colour, would you accept the car company saying ‘you can still drive it, so there is no problem. Bye’…?

It is unusual for leather products to do this. So if this is normal and expected behaviour, Apple should clearly state this in their adverts/listings.

May 5, 2021 8:43 AM in response to Mr Leo Sir

Not sure I can agree with this. I’ve had many leather cases and products over the years, some that have had a lot of use for years (like bags) that had a nice patina but did not lose their colour. I also had a Apple blue leather case years ago which I used for over a year and this did not happen.

I don’t think any premium leather product should lose its colour like this, especially so quickly.

Apple leather iPhone case state after only 6 months of use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.