Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing an AirExtreme

I have been using an Airport Extreme with an Airport Express. I have the Express only so I can broadcast music from my devices to my stereo system. The Extreme seems to have failed. I understand it will not be possible to use the Express with third party routers.

I really don't want to lose the ability to broadcast music to my stereo systems. I would appreciate suggestions for replacing/duplicating the Extreme/Express combination. Greatly.

Thanks.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 5, 2021 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2021 11:07 AM

Scratching my head. Setting up the AirPort Express to join a WiFi network is as simple as setting up a new computer or iPhone / iPad to join a wireless network. You select the name of the network to be joined and enter the password for the network. The only thing different here with the Express is that you are also assigning a device name to the Express.

After you see the "unexpected error message" appear, close AirPort Utility and try connecting your Mac back to your router's WiFi network. Then open AirPort Utility again to see if the Express might have joined the network.

Sorry, I am unable to duplicate the error or error messages that you are seeing. The screenshot that I posted before for the network named "2Wire902" is for a 3rd party WiFi router that my next door neighbor is using. I have the WiFi password for the network because I help out on computer related stuff with the neighbor. The Express joins the network with no problems.

To eliminate the possibility of an issue with your Mac, try setting up the Express using an iPhone or iPad.

Go to the Home Screen on the iPhone / iPad

Tap on Settings

Tap on WiFi

Tap on AirPort Express under the listing of Set Up New AIrPort Base Station

If you are still having problems, one possibility might be that your new router is using newer types of WiFi security that the Express is not capable of using. Remember, even the most recent version of the Express was designed in 2012 with technology that was available at that time, and Apple never updated the product for newer versions of security.

It also might be possible to set up the Express to connect to your router using Ethernet and not use the WiFi on the Express at all. But, this would require that the Express remain permanently connected to your router using the wired Ethernet cable connection. Post back if that is a possibility for you to consider.

If all else fails, you could try an AppleTV to join the WiFi network, but your amplifier or speakers will need to have an HDMI input, since the only output on the Apple TV is HDMI. The AppleTV will join networks of newer routers that are providing new security settings.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2021 11:07 AM in response to EricWeir

Scratching my head. Setting up the AirPort Express to join a WiFi network is as simple as setting up a new computer or iPhone / iPad to join a wireless network. You select the name of the network to be joined and enter the password for the network. The only thing different here with the Express is that you are also assigning a device name to the Express.

After you see the "unexpected error message" appear, close AirPort Utility and try connecting your Mac back to your router's WiFi network. Then open AirPort Utility again to see if the Express might have joined the network.

Sorry, I am unable to duplicate the error or error messages that you are seeing. The screenshot that I posted before for the network named "2Wire902" is for a 3rd party WiFi router that my next door neighbor is using. I have the WiFi password for the network because I help out on computer related stuff with the neighbor. The Express joins the network with no problems.

To eliminate the possibility of an issue with your Mac, try setting up the Express using an iPhone or iPad.

Go to the Home Screen on the iPhone / iPad

Tap on Settings

Tap on WiFi

Tap on AirPort Express under the listing of Set Up New AIrPort Base Station

If you are still having problems, one possibility might be that your new router is using newer types of WiFi security that the Express is not capable of using. Remember, even the most recent version of the Express was designed in 2012 with technology that was available at that time, and Apple never updated the product for newer versions of security.

It also might be possible to set up the Express to connect to your router using Ethernet and not use the WiFi on the Express at all. But, this would require that the Express remain permanently connected to your router using the wired Ethernet cable connection. Post back if that is a possibility for you to consider.

If all else fails, you could try an AppleTV to join the WiFi network, but your amplifier or speakers will need to have an HDMI input, since the only output on the Apple TV is HDMI. The AppleTV will join networks of newer routers that are providing new security settings.

May 6, 2021 7:18 AM in response to EricWeir

If you performed a Factory Default Reset, the network settings were erased, as well as as previous profiles. Recommended.

If you performed a Hard Reset, the network settings were erased, but a record of the previous profile is preserved. There would be no reason to preserve the previous settings that worked with your AirPort Extreme, but you can do so if you wish.

After you have performed a Factory Default Reset or a Hard Reset, you need to reconfigure the AirPort Express again to join your current network, just like you did when you originally set up the AirPort Express.

Click the WiFi menu at at the top of your Mac's screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Express

When you click on AirPort Express, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard". The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network and then display a screen that looks like the example below, except that you will see the name of your router's WiFi network displayed.

IF.....there are other WiFi networks nearby, you may be asked to select the specific network that you want to use with the AirPort Express

Base Station Name......Type in a short name to call the AirPort Express

Password......Type in the password of your router's WiFi network

Verify.....Type in the same password again to confirm

Click Next and the setup utility will configure the Express

May 5, 2021 2:49 PM in response to EricWeir

I understand it will not be possible to use the Express with third party routers.

Your understanding is partially correct.

The AirPort Express cannot "extend" the wireless network produced by a third party network......but......it can "join" virtually any network provided by a third party router for use with AirPlay.

Reset the AirPort Express back to factory default settings and then set it up again to "join" the third party WiFi network and things will be just fine.

May 6, 2021 7:00 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Wow! Didn’t expect that. Thanks!

I’ve reset the Airport Express to factory settings. The setup guide says any “profiles” that’ve been set up will be preserved. It suggests a further step for removing them. I previously used the Express in a network with the Extreme. Might that have involved setting up a “profile? If so, should I remove them?

Have no idea how to set the Express up to join the third party network. I’ve had Airport Utility running for about an hour. It hasn’t picked it up. Suggestions about this would be appreciated.

FWIW, The replacement to my previous modem-Airport Extreme set up is an ARRIS modem-router.

Thanks again.

May 6, 2021 10:18 AM in response to Bob Timmons

If I go directly to giving the base station/Airport Express a name, entering and verifying my router's password, I get a screen In which this occurs:

"This Airport Express cannot access the internet. Please plug one end of an ethernet cable into your broadband device or LAN and the other end into the WAN port of this base station." (Tried to insert a screenshot, but kept getting "An error occurred while uploading this image. Please try again.")

If I proceed without connecting an ethernet cable it seems what I end up with is a separate wi-fi network without an internet connection.

However in the bottom left corner of the initial screen is a button for "Other Options." Clicking on it presents three options: create a new network, add to an existing network, and replace an existing device. Selecting the second option triggers this explanation: "Set up this Airport Express to join or extend an existing wi-fi network."

If I proceed with that option I am asked to select an existing network. Selecting the network broadcast by my new modem-router I am taken to a screen asks me to give the base station a name and to provide and verify the password of my modem-router.

After doing that a new screen indicating that the Airport Express is being setup to join my modem-router's network. I get repeated "An unexpected error occurred. Try again."

This seems to be the right course. I'll keep trying. If not, or if there's something I'm overlooking, let me know.

I apologize for not providing screen shots. I tried, but for keep getting "an error occurred."

Thanks again.

Replacing an AirExtreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.