Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing all data and pictures from old ipad

I purchased a new ipad that I am currently using and I need to reset or deactivate the old ipad to get all my data and pictures off of it. I want to gift it to my grandaughter. I cannot find out how to do this and I want to make sure that whatever I do I DON'T delete the same information off the new ipad.

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on May 5, 2021 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply
8 replies

May 5, 2021 1:23 PM in response to bandds1

You can get the data off of this device and fully reset this iPad, but forget abut giving this old iPad to your granddaughter and just properly recycle this device.

If your old iPad model has been stuck on iOS 10 for all of these past years, then you own an 8-1/2-year old, 2012 iPad 4th generation.

That iPad model cannot ever upgrade beyond iOS 10.3.3/10.3.4.

Your nearly 9-year old, iPad 4th gen model is too old and obsolete, now.

Sorry.

Apple ended support for all 8-10-year old iOS devices well over 4 years, ago, in 2016.

Third party app developers abandoned and stopped supporting these 8-10-year old iOS devices nearly 3 years, ago, in 2018.

There are, virtually, NO MORE third party apps available from the iOS App Store, any longer!

Third party compatible apps for such old devices are few and far between, now, in 2021.

Your granddaughter will never get any third party compatible apps for that iPad model any longer.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

May 5, 2021 2:21 PM in response to bandds1

Just back up your iPad to either Apple's iCloud ( you may need to pay for additional, monthly storage space ) or by connecting your iDevice to a computer running the latest iTunes or, if a newer Mac with a much newer macOS, use the macOS Finder to do the device backup and/or some other offsite, “cloud” data storage/backup services, like Google Drive/Photos, BOX, DropBox, Amazon Cloud Drive, Flickr ( for photos/images ), etc.

Best of Luck to You!`

Removing all data and pictures from old ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.